Slow file copy RRS feed

• Question

• I am having problems on slow copying in Windows 7, having just upgraded from Vista (never really used Vista as it was on a spare PC, so not sure how good/bad it was before).

I have looked at loads of posts on this subject and cannot get to the bottom of the problem, but I have not seen anyone experiencing what I am.

My spec is: Windows Home 7 Premium

Desktop PC Intel Core Quad CPU 2.33GHZ

RAM: 6GB

32-bit

Windows Experience Index 5.9

Three hard drives: 2 internal and one external - ALL on SATA and with masses of free space

I am trying to copy a folder from one drive to another (NB:the folder does not exist on the target drive). It has just taken 10 minutes to copy less than 700mb of files. During the process I got the following error messages (in this order)

1.Confirm Folder Replace: This destination already contains a folder named xxxxx
    2.Copy File: There is already a file with the same name in this location - this gives all files trying to be copied as conflicts (2,000+)
    3.Another folder replace for 3 (sub) folders

Again, the folders/files did not pre-exist on the target drive.

Once I have okayed the replace/copy and replace options, the process continues.

The first occurred after approximately 4 minutes. The others at intervals of a couple of minutes.

Same thing happened when trying to copy to an external USB hard drive.

I have done the RDC thing, as well as various other tweaks suggested on other postings, but to no avail.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

See if any of the suggestions below helps.

1. Try to copy the files or folder under Clean Mode.
    2. Temporarily disable your Anti-Virus software to have a test.
    3. Try create a sub folder, then copy the files or folder which you want to move in it.
    4. If the issue still happen, try copy under Safe Mode.
    5. Show all the hidden files and folder in Folder Option.

I assume your issue is caused by the hidden folder or files, so please kindly check it.

In addition, some viruses can also cause the issue. Update the anti-virus definition to perform the full scan.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, January 14, 2011 1:28 AM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 9:07 AM