none
Workflow start when detect change not work

Question

• Hi all

i use sharepoint online server. 

i have workflow which is update field in directory.

update is make, and change date is change too on my directory for this file.

I have workflow to this directory which si start only on change... but it not start when change come from update. if i do change manualy and save.. here workflow start.

do you know why ?

tks advance

EDIT

I use step WAIT parameter on the first workflow (item create), and it's work.

• Edited by ehermouet Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:08 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:32 PM

Answers

• In that case I would say it is expected behavior since you are trying to run the two workflow on the same list item while first workflow is in transit. This is to avoid the workflow recursion. Consider this, your first workflow changes an item and triggers second workflow and your second workflow updates the item and it triggers the first workflow. If you run into this you will never come out of the recursion.
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 11:40 AM

All replies

• Let me repeat your question to see if I understand it correctly.

You have a SharePoint Designer based workflow that you are using in SharePoint Online document library. This workflow updates a field on the item. 

Your workflow is set to trigger on Item Updated. But when your workflow makes the change on the list item the Item Updated workflow does not trigger. 

Basically you have just one workflow? Is this correct so far?

When workflow updates an item it blocks any further triggers to occur and hence your item updated workflow would not fire. 

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:43 PM
  • hello

it's exactly that.

i have 2 workflow. 1 for created idem and 2 for update item

Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:07 AM
  • In that case I would say it is expected behavior since you are trying to run the two workflow on the same list item while first workflow is in transit. This is to avoid the workflow recursion. Consider this, your first workflow changes an item and triggers second workflow and your second workflow updates the item and it triggers the first workflow. If you run into this you will never come out of the recursion.
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 11:40 AM