none
Manual Scheduled Dates Move after adding actuals RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Here is the scenario. Is this expected and is default behavior?

Start:June 1, Finish: June 3

Days:    M T W T F

Work     8  8  8 0 0

Actual    0  0 0 0 0

Start: June 2, Finish: June 4

After Actuals:

Days:    M T W T F

Work     0  8  8 8 0

Actual    0  8 0 0 0

What would be required for the task dates not to move (or finish date not to move)?

Monday, June 27, 2016 10:25 PM

Answers

• Can't help, nor can Project. If your managers insist on a make believe schedule that hides the truth then just use Excel.

To deliver on time there is only one real way:

1. Plan what is needed to succeed on time
    2. Make sure you have an accurate critical path
    3. Any change requests that require more effort must come with a time extension approved or more resources made available.
    4. If any critical tasks finish late, you need to know about it and report it, so your needs above are counter-productive
    5. Now re-plan how to finish on time given latest progress

So if you want to schedule that everything is finishing on time yet still record actual hours per day then you have a conflict. Either ignore progress reports (called google scheduling - I'm feeling lucky) or report real progress and initiate a re-planning process to work out how to finish on time from where you are.

I recommend you remove all fixed dates, link the tasks, get a realistic critical path then get anal about people starting and finishing all critical tasks on time. Update realistically and....

Good luck!

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Wednesday, June 29, 2016 1:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nav Sahi Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Nav,

That is exactly what should happen. By entering an actual work value on June 29 you have effectively told Project that even though the task was scheduled to start on June 29, it actually started on June 30, so Project adjusts the scheduled start to agree with what really happened. However, if you enter 0 hrs actual work on June 29, Project infers that the task did start on the scheduled date even though no work was performed.

That's the way Project has worked since the beginning. If the user wants to preserve the original scheduled dates, a baseline needs to be set.

John

• Marked as answer by Nav Sahi Friday, July 15, 2016 6:54 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:40 PM

All replies

• Why do you not want the task dates to change? If you have 0h entered for actual, the 8h that should have been done but hasn't must be added to the end of the task. If the task is 100% complete after only 8h, then enter the 8h of actual work and then reset remaining work to 0h.

You need a baseline saved to record the original setup.

By the way, manual mode is purely for speculative drawing of timeframes. By the time your schedule is approved, all tasks should be in auto scheduled mode and manual not used. At all.

Note that 0h of actual work means no progress made that day. An empty or null value means no actual progress entered for that day yet.

So what are you trying to achieve and why?

Rod Gill

Monday, June 27, 2016 11:18 PM
  • Hi Rod, Thanks for the reply.

The reason I m looking at because I have a plan that runs from fixed dates and can never go beyond the finish date. What I would like to have is the ability not to change dates and having actuals entered anytime between the fixed dates.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 6:36 PM
  • Can't help, nor can Project. If your managers insist on a make believe schedule that hides the truth then just use Excel.

To deliver on time there is only one real way:

1. Plan what is needed to succeed on time
    2. Make sure you have an accurate critical path
    3. Any change requests that require more effort must come with a time extension approved or more resources made available.
    4. If any critical tasks finish late, you need to know about it and report it, so your needs above are counter-productive
    5. Now re-plan how to finish on time given latest progress

So if you want to schedule that everything is finishing on time yet still record actual hours per day then you have a conflict. Either ignore progress reports (called google scheduling - I'm feeling lucky) or report real progress and initiate a re-planning process to work out how to finish on time from where you are.

I recommend you remove all fixed dates, link the tasks, get a realistic critical path then get anal about people starting and finishing all critical tasks on time. Update realistically and....

Good luck!

Rod Gill

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Wednesday, June 29, 2016 1:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nav Sahi Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Thanks Rod. I had the same reply for the PM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:29 PM
  • Hi, How to schedule tasks that says I have 40 hours work within 1 year from April 1 to Mar 31. and I would not like the dates to change my end date no matter whenever some one add actuals.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 3:04 PM
  • Nav,

For that you would use a Fixed Duration task. However be advised that although the task finish date will not change, if the total actual work is reached before the task finish date, the assignment finish date will pull back to whenever the final actual work value was entered (see example screen shot).

John

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 7:49 PM
  • It Didn't work for me.

I added a fixed duration task from June 29 to July 5, 2016

Then I added actuals for June 30. The task dates shifted by one day.

However, if I add zero in the actuals for June 29, the task dates didn't shift when I added 8 hrs for actuals on June 30. This is same even if the tasks are manually scheduled. I think this is not expected behavior.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:29 PM
  • Nav,

That is exactly what should happen. By entering an actual work value on June 29 you have effectively told Project that even though the task was scheduled to start on June 29, it actually started on June 30, so Project adjusts the scheduled start to agree with what really happened. However, if you enter 0 hrs actual work on June 29, Project infers that the task did start on the scheduled date even though no work was performed.

That's the way Project has worked since the beginning. If the user wants to preserve the original scheduled dates, a baseline needs to be set.

John

• Marked as answer by Nav Sahi Friday, July 15, 2016 6:54 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:40 PM