Cannot search from start menu in W7 RRS feed

• Question

• When i try to search from the "search programs and files" in the start menu I get  "Programs , Control Panel, Documents etc" but they are blank with a blank white icon. If I click on one of them I get an error message from Windows Security saying "These files  can't be opened"  -Your security Internet settings prevented one or more files from being opened. I haven't had any luck searching for an answer and can't figure this out. Obviously I may have changed something but what? Any advice much appreciated.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 9:05 AM

Answers

• This problem is documented in the Microsoft KB:

The "Search programs and files" box does not display search results correctly in Windows 7 and in Windows 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977380/en-us

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, June 7, 2010 6:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what file cannot be opened with the error "These files can't be opened - Your security Internet settings prevented one or more files from being opened”?

If this is a link file for a website, you may also try to add this website to the trusted sites to check the result.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:38 AM

All replies

• This problem is documented in the Microsoft KB:

The "Search programs and files" box does not display search results correctly in Windows 7 and in Windows 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977380/en-us

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, June 7, 2010 6:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what file cannot be opened with the error "These files can't be opened - Your security Internet settings prevented one or more files from being opened”?

If this is a link file for a website, you may also try to add this website to the trusted sites to check the result.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:38 AM