Desktop Icons showing no Text RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I just upgraded Vista Ultimate with Windows 7 Ultimate doing an in place upgrade. Everything seems to be working correctly, e.g. all my applications and development tools, however I cannot get the Text to show under the desktop icons.

I found a couple of threads in this regard but they seemed inconclusive. The tool-tips work on mouse-over, and if i select an icon and rename, I see the text... just not seeing it any other time!

Has anyone found a solution to this other than messing with the user profile? A registry tweak? I renamed the iconcache.db file and Windows recreated it, but still no text.

I have also tried using no themes, and plain desktop, and even turning off Aero, but it does not change.

I have logged in with a couple of other user names and the text does show. I would like to have the profile problem fixed rather than trying to recreate it!

Any assistance would be appreciated!
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:21 PM

Answers

• Time to create a new  U.P.
    Seesons greetings!
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:26 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:58 AM
  • Hi,

To transfer a user profile, please try the following steps:

1. Log on the new account, click the Start menu, and click Computer.

2. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder and Search Options.

3. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

4. Navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.

Note: I assume that Windows 7 is installed on the C: partition. If Windows 7 is installed on the D: partition, the Users folder should be located in the D:\Users\(old user name) folder. Also the "old user name" refers to the user name of your old account.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

Now, restart the computer and log on the new account. If the Desktop icon text works, you can now delete the old icon and use the new one instead. You do not need to reinstall programs for the new account. The programs can be found from Start -> All Programs.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:27 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:06 AM

All replies

• That would be desktop only, not including other folders?

Seesons greetings!
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Can you see the Drop shadows for the desktop icon text? After enabling them?

and did you have Dreamscene before? It might be a reach but Dreamscene and win7 don't mix. You need to fiddle with the desktop or just disable Dreamscene.
    exploring wmplayer 12 secure internet sharing
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Right-click on the Computer icon on the Start Menu and select Properties. Then click on Advanced system settings > Advanced tab.  Click on the settings button located under Performance tab. Under the Visual Effects tab, place a dot next to Let Windows choose what's best for my computer and click Apply. 
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:50 PM
  • The folder icons have their text just like normal.

The desktop icons do not show any shadow, though the option is enabled.

I can select the Icon and select rename from the right click context menu and it will show the text at that point, but once it looses focus, the text disappears.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:58 AM
  • I have already performed thoose steps, and even went to a classic environment to no avail.... see the above reply for additional information.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Time to create a new  U.P.
    Seesons greetings!
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:26 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:58 AM
  • Can a new user profile be created without having to reinstall all of my software?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:38 PM
  • You certainly can.

Edit:

Before you create a new account you may want to try the built in administrator account to see if it works and save a little time.
    Seesons greetings!
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Not to be dumb sounding or anything like that, but could someone tell me how to reconstruct my user profile without having to reinstall all of my apps and setting?

My other user profiles(e.g. Administrator, Other Users) desktops display correctly with the icon text.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Is there no software utilities to help with such a process either 3rd party or from Microsoft?
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:46 PM
  • What is the font setting listed when you do this:

1.  Right-click on the desktop and choose Personalize.
    2.  Click on Window Color near the bottom.
    3.  Click on Advanced appearance settings... near the left-center.
    4.  Choose "Icon" from the Item list.

Normally you should see Segoe UI and size 9.

Also something nearby to check:  Icon Spacing (Vertical).  Should be something 30 or 40.

-Noel
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:21 AM
  • Not to be dumb sounding or anything like that, but could someone tell me how to reconstruct my user profile without having to reinstall all of my apps and setting?

My other user profiles(e.g. Administrator, Other Users) desktops display correctly with the icon text.
    You can't reconstruct the user profile but in the future back up your settings - log on with the built in administrator account and open sytem properties where it says user profiles copy to a selected folder.

Another strange way to do it but it works is back up you settings with Windows Easy Transfer.

Your only option now is to create a new account and to have fun reapplying your settings.

Seasons greetings!
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:29 AM
  • Hi,

2. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder and Search Options.

3. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

Note: I assume that Windows 7 is installed on the C: partition. If Windows 7 is installed on the D: partition, the Users folder should be located in the D:\Users\(old user name) folder. Also the "old user name" refers to the user name of your old account.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

Now, restart the computer and log on the new account. If the Desktop icon text works, you can now delete the old icon and use the new one instead. You do not need to reinstall programs for the new account. The programs can be found from Start -> All Programs.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:27 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Vivian,

I will give this a try, however I have been experimenting with this and tried a program called Desktop Icon Toy 4.0 because it mentioned being able toggle the icon text on the desktop in the description.

I downloaded and installed it, and in fact it does... it can toggle the text on or off, however if I log off and back on, the default seems to be off.

That being said, I am now suspicious that there is a registry entry that controls this, however nobody seems to know what it is.

If anyone is familiar with this area, I would appreciate some help trying to track that down... the Desktop Icon Toy is a 14 day trial, so I have that much time before it no longer works...
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT

Vivian, can you tell me if I should also copy the hidden NTUserDAT files and log files?
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

Please do not copy netusr related dat and log files.
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:50 AM