none
Starting out on Project Professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I've recently taught myself how to use Project Professional. It's actually quite clever when you learn how to use some of the more advanced features.

Just wondering about the task types, fixed units, fixed duration and fixed work. What is the most common task type used, fixed units?

I've played around with all of them and can see how they work.

Also if I'm looking at moving into a project coordinator/ administration role, what are the key features of project I should really know well? Realisticly do many people use more than 1 baseline? Or even the interim plan function?

Many thanks

Alley

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:12 AM

Answers

• Task Types come into play when you edit an assignment. Fixed units means if you edit duration or work, the other is recalculated. Every assignment has Duration, Work and Units, and units always=work/duration so think "edit one, fix one, third one gets recalculated.

Key features of Project? Much more important to learn is out to schedule and control tight time frame projects, resource constrained projects, tight cost projects etc. Start from the business need, then work out how to use Project to best communicate how the project can be successfully completed.

I regularly use two or three baselines:

1. Main baseline once schedule is agreed
    2. Baseline saved after every steering committee meeting so all changes from meeting to meeting can be reviewed.
    3. Baseline re-saved every week so changes to schedule after updating each week can be reviewed - essential for tight time frame projects.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:38 AM