Robocopy and Windows 8.1 Pro Local Skydrive folders FAIL RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been successfully using Robocopy for years and after installing Windows 8.1 Pro, my script fails while attempting to copy the Skydrive folders and files on my local HDD. All other files copy correctly. I have created a local PC account not a cloud account and the Skydrive folder and files are all on my local HDD.

The error is:
    ERROR 1920 (0x00000780) Copying File D:\MyData\SkyDrive\...[filenames]...

I have searched for and seen other threads regarding Skydrive and Robocopy. I am still not clear why HDD local folders and files would fail to be copied. The folder and files are on my local HDD.

Due to the SkyDrive fail, I have tried modifying the Robocopy script and the modification does not function as expected. My script is:
    robocopy"D:\MyData" "E:\MyData" /E /XD "D:\MyData\SkyDrive\" /MT:64 /ZB /FP /NP /R:5 /W:1 /V /TEE /log:"d:\mydata\Backuplog Daily D to E.xls"

Trying to exclude the SkyDrive folders does not function and Robocopy continues to attempt to copy Skydrive folders/subfolders/files.

I have tried several variations of the /XD switch which also fail.

1) Any idea why the /XD switch fails?
    2) Any idea why local HDD Skydrive folders/files fail to copy?

Any suggestion would be appreciated. The biggest issue is the /XD switch which does not exclude folders as expected.

BTW I posted this originally in the Scripting Forums and was referred to these General Forums.

Thanks,
    Michael Downs

mdd

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:34 AM

Answers

• Hi!

I think I found a solution:

The problem is Microsoft's "smart files" technology. In order for robocopy to work, you have to dumb down the files first. This is the place to do it:

Go to your SkyDrive App, then to settings then to options. There you'll find a "make all files offline" switch. Switch this on, wait for skydrive to sync everything and you can treat your skydrive like a normal directory.

Haven't checked, whether exclusion works, but copying does.

Lots of Greetings!

Volker

Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This error code means “ERROR_CANT_ACCESS_FILE”.

I have also tested as below, and it appeared that XD switch still work fine in Windows 8.1.

At this point, would you please try to log on Windows with your Skydrive account and try to run your script again?

If the issue still persists, I suggest we test without network connection to see what’s going on.

Keep post.

Regards,

Kate Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:35 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I understand what the error number signifies.

Please see the attached screen caps. As you can see screen cap 1 shows the /XD switch appears to be applied correctly - see the line:

Exec Dirs : D:/MyData\SkyDrive

However, see screen cap 2 which shows hundreds of error lines (limited by switches in the script /R:5 /W:1). It seems obvious that Robocopy is not actually skipping the excluded folder.

What is up with that?

Thanks

Michael

Screen Cap1

Screen Cap2

mdd

Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:59 PM
  • Hello,

Any suggestions to exclude SkyDrive?

Thanks

mdd

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Hi, 

I noticed that your Exc Dirs for SkyDrive folder looks wired. 

Please make sure that the quotes of each address including the one for log file are typed in double. Also, I suggest we replace the space " " between folder name for log file by underline "_". 

Then, try to run this script again. 

Regards,

Kate Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:58 AM
  • There is no change in Roboscript behavior.

It still fails to exclude a folder and the error messages are logged.

This is a strange failure indeed.

mdd

Sunday, November 3, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Just to let you know that I have the same problem.

robocopy gives an error whenever it tries to access my skydrive.

Excluding it is not option for me because the backup of skydrive to local storage is part of the job of the robocopy script.

This is the robocopy command line:

robocopy C:\Users\Volker Y:\Userdata\Volker /XD C:\Users\Volker\AppData /XF C:\Users\Volker\NTUSER.DAT /MIR /FFT /R:1 /W:1 /NP /NDL /NS /FP /XO /MT

This is a screenshot, sorry for the german error messages:

This is my system info:

I'd be glad for any help.

Lots of Greetings!

Volker

• Edited by v_he Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:17 AM
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:13 AM
  • Hi!

I think I found a solution:

The problem is Microsoft's "smart files" technology. In order for robocopy to work, you have to dumb down the files first. This is the place to do it:

Go to your SkyDrive App, then to settings then to options. There you'll find a "make all files offline" switch. Switch this on, wait for skydrive to sync everything and you can treat your skydrive like a normal directory.

Haven't checked, whether exclusion works, but copying does.

Lots of Greetings!

Volker

Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:34 AM