Explorer won't start automatically anymore RRS feed

• Question

• it might be related to netlimiter application; i just uninstalled it to see how it copes without it.
    also, if allow my laptop to idle to sleep, it won't resume (it powers off). i use avira antivirus.
    thanks.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:06 PM

Answers

• You may use ShellExView to check third party Windows Explorer add-ons.

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Run ShellExView, in the pane sort the entries with manufacturers. Disable all non-Microsoft *.dll files, and check the result. If the issue does not occur, one of the files can be the culprit. We could narrow down it one by one.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:47 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:51 AM

All replies

• How does Windows Explorer work without the netlimiter application?

Regarding the resume issue, I suspect that the computer crashes when it is going to resume. This behavior can be caused by incompatible anti-virus. I suggest that you temporary disable it and check the result. If the issue still occurs, please follow the steps below to disable automatic restart, and let us know if Blue Screen displays when the issue occurs.

1. Click Start, right-click Computer, choose Properties.
    2. Click “Advanced system settings” in the left pane.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, click “Settings” under “Startup and Recovery”.
    4. Make sure that “Automatically restart”.

If BSOD is received, there can be some hardware or driver compatibility issues. In this case, when Blue Screen appears you may pay attention to the *.sys file displayed on the screen to find which hardware or driver is the root cause.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, June 1, 2009 7:19 AM
  • I uninstalled netlimiter, and disabled Avira antivirus. Explorer still won't start on its own. The programs in the startup menu (including registry) don't open untill i manually run explorer after boot. My drivers are installed and up do date (before installing the drivers from intel 965 the system crahsed to a blue screen if i plugged in a tv in the svideo port). I'm feeling a slight letdown, i dont feel like reinstalling Windows7 untill the next big bug occurs. Thanks!
    zminin dot com
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:50 AM
  • I uninstalled Avira antivirus and netlimiter along with any other startup software but explorer still won't open upon windows boot, along with its other logon programs. I'm going to reinstall windows 7 although this is not the solution i had in mind...
    zminin dot com
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:18 PM
  • You may use ShellExView to check third party Windows Explorer add-ons.

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Run ShellExView, in the pane sort the entries with manufacturers. Disable all non-Microsoft *.dll files, and check the result. If the issue does not occur, one of the files can be the culprit. We could narrow down it one by one.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:47 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:51 AM