Recently decomissioned old SCCM 2007 server and replaced with 2012 R2- How do I point everything to the new SCCM server? RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried many things that I've found in articles. Gone as far as ADSI edit. Not sure what else I can do. The old server was setup by someone else and never really worked correctly. I'd basically like to start fresh with this new install.

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 9:35 PM

Answers

• Follow my R2 install guide to get your site up.

http://sccmentor.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/sccm-2012-r2-step-by-step-installation-guide/

You won't need to extend the schema if this has already been done for the 2k7 site. The System Management container could already exist. If so add in permissions for the new site server. If not create and follow the guide. Once done set up your boundaries and discovery methods accordingly. Once you start to populate the console with clients then installing the client will remove the old 2k7 client (if it was installed) as part of the 2012 client install.

Cheers

Paul | sccmentor.wordpress.com

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:34 PM

All replies

• Follow my R2 install guide to get your site up.

http://sccmentor.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/sccm-2012-r2-step-by-step-installation-guide/

You won't need to extend the schema if this has already been done for the 2k7 site. The System Management container could already exist. If so add in permissions for the new site server. If not create and follow the guide. Once done set up your boundaries and discovery methods accordingly. Once you start to populate the console with clients then installing the client will remove the old 2k7 client (if it was installed) as part of the 2012 client install.

Cheers

Paul | sccmentor.wordpress.com

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:34 PM
  • Set up the boundaries on the new console  then deploy the DP's.

Don't do them all at one time,  it took me a few weeks in my last migration.  You can have 2007 and 2012 up at the same time.  Do an AD discovery and import all of your workstations.  You can select a few at a time and manually install the client from the console.  Just make sure that you have a DP and boundary set correctly for the clients that you are selecting. 

If you are starting fresh.  Just stand up all of the dp's with the correct boundaries assigned then turn on Automatic client push  and that will take care of getting the clients to point to the new server.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:43 PM