Users claim data "disappears" after entering it in datasheet view RRS feed

• Question

• This is a WSS2 farm, yes quite old.  Migration plans are underway.

But in the mean time, I have users claiming that they are entering data into custom lists, via the datasheetview.

And then they come back a few mins later, and its gone. 

I have a meeting with the users tomorrow to get more details, but I wanted to get this question started, as I have not found anything searching the web.

WSS2 on Server 2003 SP3

Users are on Windows 7 x64 laptops.

Joshua Fuente

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hello Joshua,

If a lot of data is entered (e.g. copy paste of large amount of data from Excel) thru DataSheet view, it will take some time to get copied on to server and if the users exit / close the browser before that, they may notice data loss. As you rightly mentioned, if you can ask users to wait for the operation to be completed or ask them to switch to standard view so that all the data is committed.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that the items added to a custom list through a datasheet view cannot be saved. Does this happen to a single list or to all lists?

It may take a while for SharePoint to save the changes in the datasheet view. If the user refresh the browser before the changes get saved, the changes will be removed. If this happens to a only list, you can ask them to create a new item in the standard view to see whether the item get saved. If this happen to all lists, you can ask them to try with another browser.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 1, 2013 9:45 AM
  • I know in 2007, if you try to switch out of dataSheet view to quickly, it will ask you if you want to wait for the changes to apply...

Is this also true in WSS2? 

If so, I may have the users swtich views to a standard view, to apply the edits from datasheet view.

Joshua Fuente

Friday, February 1, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 4, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Hello Joshua,

If a lot of data is entered (e.g. copy paste of large amount of data from Excel) thru DataSheet view, it will take some time to get copied on to server and if the users exit / close the browser before that, they may notice data loss. As you rightly mentioned, if you can ask users to wait for the operation to be completed or ask them to switch to standard view so that all the data is committed.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:44 PM