WIFI connected but no Internet RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, so the other day my PC unexpectedly shut down and been giving connectivity issues since.
    Currently, I can connect to my WIFI router, gain an IP address. however I am getting no internet access.
    I have a virtual machine running on the PC, with windows XP, and this machine does have full internet access.

Problems and resolutions so far:

• Windows firewall and security manager were corrupted and various services did not start however all are up now.
    • I reset the TCPIP stack via command prompt.
    • I reinstalled Wifi drivers.
    • I ran the sfc and chkdisk  commands. Check disk resolved some issues.
    • I did a traceroute and i hit my router, after there is a request timeout then it goes to a few addresses before stopping.

Im lost now as everything seems to be up, just I am unable to browse. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Rango.
    Monday, August 29, 2016 10:13 PM

All replies

• Anyone out there??
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:45 AM
  • Hi,

I noticed your situation. First please make sure ISP works properly.

For the network issue, the built-in troubleshoot tool is usually useful.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Network Adapter

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

In addition, I suggest you perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Use other static DNS

a. Click "Start" menu, type "ncpa.cpl" (without quotation marks) in Search Box and press "OK".

b. Select your local network.

c. Click Properties, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

d. Click Properties.

e. In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the "Preferred DNS server".

f. Click 'OK' twice to complete the modification.

2. Reset WinSock

a. Click Start, click "All programs", and click "Accessories". 

b. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c. Please enter the following command, and press Enter.

Netsh winsock reset

d. A message stating "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog" will appear. Please restart the computer.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as an answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:46 AM
  • Hi Tony, i just followed all the instructions, however it didn't work :(
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:25 PM
  • HI 

Have you checked you don't have any proxy settings in internet options\connctions\lan settings?

Thursday, September 1, 2016 2:47 PM
  • To clarify:

1. Your virtual machine (guest) has internet access but your physical (host) machine has not?
    2. What application are you using for the virtual machine? Is it VirtualBox?

Best regards, George

Thursday, September 1, 2016 4:00 PM
  • yup, no proxy settings nor lan
    Friday, September 2, 2016 3:40 AM
  • Hey George, 
    1- correct, vm on same machine has internet working fine
    2- Its a vm workstation, win xp

Friday, September 2, 2016 3:42 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as an answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:43 AM
  •  Its a vm workstation, win xp

Ok, so you have TWO vm's! Please tell us what is the host OS.

Best regards, George

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 2:54 PM
  • What are your IP settings from both vm and host. Do an ipconfig /all from cmd on both and post results here.
    Friday, September 9, 2016 2:43 PM