Renamed SharePoint Services 3.0 Server RRS feed

• Question

• We renamed a server with SharePoint Services 3.0 installed. It seems that the SharePoint instance still things the computer is using the old name. I can't get into Central Administration.  Is there a way to fix this without switching the name back?

Thanks

Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:49 PM

Answers

• For what it's worth, I found out about the stsadm command which solved my problem.

cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN

stsadm -o renameserver -newservername computer2 -oldservername computer1

Then I went into Central Administration and updated the access mappings.

• Marked as answer by William Reedy Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:31 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:31 PM

All replies

• To fix Central Admin you can just re-run the SharePoint Product and technologies configuration wizard to remove and then re-install Central Admin.  But I don't think that will solve a lot of other problems you will have with the different server name.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 5:24 PM
  • Yeah, I wasn't onboard with re-naming the server, but I was told to so I did.  Long story.  Anyway, I already tried re-running the Configuration Wizard which fails.  I found this on an article on TechNet.  What do you think of this?

stsadm -o renameserver -newservername <newname> -oldservername <oldname>

Failing this, should it work properly again if switched back to its original name?

Cheers

Thursday, August 7, 2014 6:19 PM
  • There are no guarantees.  If running the Config Wizard fails I wouldn't bet on renameserver either.  But you could try it.  Personally, I would rename the server back to its original name first, although that may not work either.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, August 8, 2014 1:43 AM
  • For what it's worth, I found out about the stsadm command which solved my problem.

cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN

stsadm -o renameserver -newservername computer2 -oldservername computer1

Then I went into Central Administration and updated the access mappings.

• Marked as answer by William Reedy Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:31 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:31 PM