Exchange 2016 Internal vs External Urls RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up an Exchange 2016 server farm with 4 servers in a location that does not contain any user offices and will not have any internal users at all, its strictly a NOC. It will have a hardware load balancer in front of it. My question is that since it does not have any local users should I go ahead and set all Internal Urls to be the same as the External Urls?  Does it even matter?

Thanks.

Friday, July 22, 2016 3:42 PM

Answers

• I am setting up an Exchange 2016 server farm with 4 servers in a location that does not contain any user offices and will not have any internal users at all, its strictly a NOC. It will have a hardware load balancer in front of it. My question is that since it does not have any local users should I go ahead and set all Internal Urls to be the same as the External Urls?  Does it even matter?

Thanks.

Doesnt matter. I make them always match and use split DNS regardless. 

Blog:    Twitter:   

• Marked as answer by David-Mac Monday, July 25, 2016 1:04 PM
    Friday, July 22, 2016 4:45 PM

All replies

Thanks.

Doesnt matter. I make them always match and use split DNS regardless. 

Blog:    Twitter:   

• Marked as answer by David-Mac Monday, July 25, 2016 1:04 PM
    Friday, July 22, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Hi David,

Welcome to our forum.

I agree with David that we could keep all internalUrls as default if there are any users in this location. If we want to configure internalUrl and externalUrl as same, please refer to the following link to configure internal and external URLs to be the same.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt441779%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 25, 2016 1:51 AM
  • I hope the above suggestion clarifies your concern to get this job done.

The External URL is the URL that the User from the internet will use to access your server like when you are using OWA Published over ISA as an example and Internal URL is the link that the internal user with the local network will use to connect to your exchange server.

Configure External and Internal URL in Exchange 2016:
    http://www.mustbegeek.com/configure-external-and-internal-url-in-exchange-2016/

Hope this helps!

Migrate mailboxes, Public Folders, Outlook profiles and rules and GAL etc. to-and-fro Exchange Servers and Office 365 with LepideMigrator for Exchange

Monday, July 25, 2016 9:34 AM