"Operation Failed" When Attaching Files to Messages RRS feed

• Question

• A few, but not all, of our users are experiencing this issue. They cannot attach files to Outlook messages due to a generic "Operation Failed" error message. Here are the steps I've tried. They have the same version of Office 365 as other users who are unaffected. The error occurs regardless of whether they drag the file over to the message body or use the "attach file" button. Here are the steps I've tried. Any ideas? 

Office updates: none to apply
    Affected file types: All
    Cached exchange mode: disabled via GP
    Outlook safe mode/disabled add-ins: still occurred
    OWA: error did not occur in the web version
    New Outlook profile: Error still occurred
    My user: is also affected on this machine
    Full office repair: error still occursAntivirus: nothing relevant showing in agent reports; nothing being blocked by antivirusOffice 365 diagnostic tool/Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant: didn't find anythingBroken rules?: No outlook rules existEnabled all add-ins: No resultWindows updates: none to apply
    Event viewer: haven't found anything useful, but it's a wide area to look in

Friday, August 30, 2019 2:53 PM

All replies

• Formatting is a little wonky, but when I tried to edit the post, the system incorrectly marked it as spam. 
    Friday, August 30, 2019 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

I see that you have tried a lot of methods.

>> Antivirus: nothing relevant showing in agent reports; nothing being blocked by antivirus.

It is still suggested to temporarily turn off your antivirus software to check if the issue will be gone.

Besides, please try complete uninstall your Office and reinstall again.

Please pay attention to the latest updates, and if new updates are released, please install them. Because installing new updates can often solve many weird problems.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 2, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hello, I have tried a full uninstall/reinstall of Office and disabling antivirus, without any effect.

Since not all users are affected, I tried mirroring AD permissions, and could not replicate the issue that way.

I don't know how this could be a Office version issue, considering that unaffected users are on the same version, BUT just in case, I tried to rollback Office. However, when I do that, following the instructions in the below link, nothing happens. The command runs without error, but the Office version stays the same and there are no available updates. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 1:11 PM
  • Lots of people having similar problem, with the latest Office update 1809.  No response from Microsoft yet.  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/723107ab-e4d0-4e00-9190-e5ce212f1656/outlook20162019-the-operation-failed-after-1908-update?forum=outlook
    • Edited by Scott Clark 22 Tuesday, September 3, 2019 1:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by R0w-n Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by R0w-n Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:34 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 1:35 PM
  • A coworker was able to roll back and that fixed it for him. As Scott Clark 22 suggests, this might be an Office bug. That still doesn't explain why not all users with the same version are affected.

Do you know if there is a way to prevent Office updates for all users in an organization, maybe through group policy? If we do a rollback, I don't want to have the same problem the next time someone updates or repairs office.

• Edited by R0w-n Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

It is not recommended to prevent Office updates for all users in an organization, this issue may be solved when install the next update and Office updates can give you the best user experience.

>>If we do a rollback, I don't want to have the same problem the next time someone updates or repairs office.

During the process you will be required to temporarily disable automatic updates for Office. When there  is newer update which can solve your issue, you may enable automatic updates again. For more details: How to revert to an earlier version of Office.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:04 AM
  • This is a serious enough bug that it warrants a rollback. I found a way to keep users on a specific version through group policy here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5c9b5709-6f4a-40b6-ab5b-8a23d97b83bf/rollback-causes-network-error?forum=officeitpro

Only downside is currently affected users have to manually upgrade Office for it to pick up the version GP wants, but...oh well.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:10 PM
  • Hi All,

Update here: This issue has been fixed.

The Outlook Team disabled the flight that was causing the issue "Microsoft.Office.Outlook.Attachments.LoadAttachmentsBackground".  The customer will need to restart Outlook to pick up the change. 

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Thursday, September 5, 2019 2:08 AM
  • Hello Aidan, this is still an issue--thank you. 
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:40 PM
  • Is there any update on this? The most recent patch, Office Version 1909 (Build 12026.20108) did NOT fix this.
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 5:58 PM
  • It works if cached exchange mode is enabled, but cached exchange mode is not an option for us, due to the bugs it causes. In fact, we disabled it via GP a while ago.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:22 PM
  • Unmarking as answered, as this is not resolved. From other reports, this appears to be an issue with Exchange 2010 and Office 365.
    • Edited by R0w-n Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:36 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:35 PM