none
Cannot Restore SharePoint 2010 site that uses Filestream with DPM 2012 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a sharepoint 2010 Site running on SQL server 2008 R2 that uses the built in Filestream(RBS) Providor for BLOB storage. I can back it up just fine but when I go to restore items from it  I get the following error in DPM

    DPM was unable to attach the database to the SQL Instance SQLSERVERNAME Could not open new database 'DPM_32eb0174_b464_40e5_93d0_aa5a43fd6459'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. (ID 32000 Details: Unknown error (0x80040e14) (0x80040E14))

    ON the SQL server in the event log I get the following error each time it tries to attach.

    A file activation error occurred. The physical file name 'C:\SP_restore\DPM_32eb0174_b464_40e5_93d0_aa5a43fd6459\db\SPBlobStore' may be incorrect. Diagnose and correct additional errors, and retry the operation.

    I am trying to restore using the recover without using a recoveryfarm option. I am redirecting the site to a different location on the same server. But it does not get that far because it cannot load the DB. I checked and in the temporary folder SPBlobStore does exist. However, I cannot try to manually load the DB because the items in the temporary folder are deleted when the job fails.

    Thanks,

    Nick

    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:57 PM

All replies

  • Hi Nick,

    DPM does not support RBS.

    See these links:

    • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287757.aspx

    Text from the link:

    "Corrected information about Data Protection Manager. You cannot use Data Protection Manager to back up or restore RBS by using the FILESTREAM provider."

    • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628583.aspx

    Text from the link:

    Operational requirement With the FILESTREAM provider Without the FILESTREAM provider

         System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) 2010 integrated backup and recovery of the BLOB Store

                           No

                           Maybe 1


    My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!


    Monday, April 23, 2012 5:31 AM
    Moderator
  • I am using DPM 2012 beta which according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2599677

    Has

    · SharePoint Item Level recovery without restoring Content DB
    · SQL FILESTREAM support
    · SharePoint RBS support

    I just installed the RTM version of DPM and will test if I still cannot restore the blobs.

    Thanks,

    Nick

    Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:46 AM
  • Hi Nick

    I am running the RTM version and still encountering this error.

    Did you manage to fix the issue?

    Regards
    Andrew

    Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Hi,

    you have to set a Reg key for it to work. Problem is, I know that you have to set one. I just came across it today while searching for something different. Unfortunately I have not saved that document. I am going to look. As soon as I find it I will post it.

    Monday, May 7, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Hi, 

    there is a document called "SC2012_DPM_Operations.docx", Page 126:

    Item-level recovery of Filestream items

    You must set the following registry key on the DPM server to enable SharePoint item-level recovery for items in SQL Server Filestream content databases.


    Key

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\SharePoint

    Value

    AutoTriggerUnOptimizedILR

    Data

    1

    Type

    DWORD

    You might want to try this.

    Best regards

    Markus



    Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:05 PM
  • I made that change to the DPM Server and I still get

    DPM was unable to attach the database to the SQL Instance SEA221SPRESTRDB. Could not open new database 'DPM_ea292b1e_e61a_468a_97a6_576caca6f7e9'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.

    I still get the same logs on the SQL server in the EventLog relating to the BlobSTore

    A file activation error occurred. The physical file name 'C:\SP_restore\DPM_ea292b1e_e61a_468a_97a6_576caca6f7e9\db\SPBlobStore' may be incorrect. Diagnose and correct additional errors, and retry the operation.

    I am watching the files during the restore and it does create that folder and restore files into it but then when SQL tries to Mount it throw the error about Fiel activation so then everything fails. I could not find anything about any registry changes on the SQL restore server.

    Monday, October 8, 2012 8:27 PM