none
Windows 10 upgrade on my tablet failed- I lost windows 8.1 in the process. How do I re install?

Question

• I attempted to upgrade my tablet running 8.1 to Windows 10. I couldn't clear enough space for the install without wiping everything I had stored, so, as instructed, I added a media card for the update. Everything installed and went through the update, but when it began to boot with Windows 10, it failed and immediately attempted to restore 8.1. It could not find a restore point and now will not boot windows at all.  It tells me to use a recovery disc/drive, but I do not have one and cannot make one since it won't boot up. How can I re-install windows 8.1 (or 8 or 10) without having to acquire a new key for my tablet that is less than 1 year old?  I have an installation USB made for 10, but I don't know if it will work without having to input a key, and honestly I am not sure if the tablet will boot from usb.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:07 AM

Answers

• Hi D-Dubs81,

Based on your description, you want to know if there is a way to install Windows 10 without a new key, right?

A product key is required for activating Windows. Fortunately, we could activate Windows 10 by using Windows 8.1 product key.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10  

If you are not sure if your tablet can boot from USB, we could try to verify it in BIOS setting.  In addition, we could try to contact the manufacturer support to confirm it.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:20 AM