none
Always stuck at 1% during creating wim in MDT for Windows 7 Enterprise x64 OS and Apps as Reference Image RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello, IT Experts

Can someone help me on how to resolve my issue on capturing Windows 7 OS. Task sequence for capturing Windows 7 always got stuck at 1% during creating WIM file.

Additional Details:

1. Capturing and deploying Windows 10 is successful but not in Windows 7.

2. I am using MDT 6.3.8456.1000 and ADK 10 installed in Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.

3. Windows 7 reference computer is disjoined from domain prior running LiteTouch.vbs

Appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Michael

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 1:27 PM

All replies

• Is the Windows 7 computer a Virtual Machine? If so, what is its startup memory allocation and minimum memory allocation (dynamic memory) set to?

In my experience, if the startup memory of a VM isn't around 7-8GB and the minimum at least 1GB, WinPE might not have enough memory to allocate to WIM creation.

• Edited by MDA400 Monday, March 18, 2019 10:29 PM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:03 PM
  • Yes, it is a VM (Hyper-V). 

Memory allocation from 512MB to 5000MB (Generation 1).

By the way, When I've tried to reinstall everything (Windows 7) from scratch to a laptop instead and captured it using my current MDT setup, it was successful. So there is something wrong with my VM.

But capturing Windows 10 VM was also successful. I'll try to revisit my settings of Windows 7 VM.

Thank you for the response and help.

Appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:14 PM
  • Got it. Might be!

It's generally advised to install only windows updates and applications like batch files you would have the computer run a task, to be captured in the image.

Personally, I only make sure the image is updated from windows update and I use the TCP Optimizer application from speedguide.net to change certain TCP settings in the image before I capture, then have MDT install applications after the image is applied to a computer.

My organization isn't deploying Windows 7 anymore, but my Windows 10 VM has an external and internal network interface in its settings (if you only use the internal/default switch that Hyper-V creates, it may be worth experimenting with an external interface to get an real private IP on your network in case it has something to do with the WIM creation process).

• Edited by MDA400 Friday, March 15, 2019 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:20 PM