Having issues Installing Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• A friend and I went out and bought everything we needed to build a whole new computer system.  As follows is a list of everything we bought.
    • BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC / 768MB GDDR4 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor HH80562PH0568M - 2.4GH, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB
    • EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA
    • OCZ Vista Upgrade Edition Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (x2)
    • Samsung SH-S183L SATA - 18x DVD+-R, 8x DVD+-R Dual Layer, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x40 CD-R, 32x40 CD-RW
    • Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM
    • Ultra X3 ULT40073 600-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready
    • Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Once my friend got it all put together we went and loaded in the Windows Vista install disc.  It would finish the Windows Loading Files and just freeze.  After running it in Safe Mode we found it was stopping at the code \windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys

We fiddled around and determined one of the 4 Memory Sticks was no good so we removed it and it's pair.  We now have the other set sitting in the machine.  It finally got past that once we did that and got to the install.  The install ran smoothly for the most part.  Then after restarting and getting to the Complete Installation step and just sat there for quite some time.  Eventually it restarted the computer and upon trying to load the OS it would do a memory crash dump with the error...
    Stop: 0x0000007E

Once done with that the system will restart and just repeat this memory crash dump.  Sometimes it will perform the dump and sometimes it won't.  Running it in Safe Mode determined it gets to the line of code of \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

That's about it as to where we stand.  Not sure what is wrong or where to go here.  Tried having it load from the Hard Disk instead of the DVD since it appears the install actually happened but still the same problems.  Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:01 AM

Answers

• I actually solved the problem a different way last night.  I stumbled upong it actually.  I removed the second stick of RAM and everything is now installed no problem.  The only problem is that I can't seem to use more than 1 stick of the 2GB RAM at a time....

I downloaded all the updates and still no good.  But at least I'm installed and up and running now
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:53 AM
  • Hi;

I may have a solution for you. I contacted the EVGA support team and the tech tehre told me to increase my voltages for memory from 1.875 to 2.1 (this is done in the Bios un advanced features, if memory serves). At this voltage level, Windows boots with 4gigs. At the original voltage, it would only boot with 2 gigs. The tech said that what happens with this mobo (and most others) is that at 4gb, the draw mobos don't actually meet the 1.875 volt requirement.

Anyway, to make sure this was not a fluke, I turned up and down the voltage about 5 times and it worked/failed (as expected) every time! Also, I ran Flight Simulator 10 on it all last night without problem!

I cant' beleive I was not able to find this solution anywhere on the internet, but the EVGA tech guy had it on his lips.

Please keep me posted.

Best of luck!

Kirk

Friday, January 18, 2008 1:18 PM

All replies

•  

Hi;

Beleive it or not, I have an IDENTICAL setup and the IDENTICAL problem. I also tried the same "SAFE MODE" trick and it stops on the same file. I pulled out the Hitatchi HD (which works fine) and stuck in a couple Western Digitals and the OS laid in perfectly, though on RAID 0. I then put the Hititchi back and installed the 32 bit version of Vista - worked no problem. Reformated and tried the 64 bit version again - same problem as before. I am convinced the Hitatchi disk drive is not 64 bit boot compliant.

Best of luck! And if you get more info, please post.

KIRK

Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:17 AM
  • I actually solved the problem a different way last night.  I stumbled upong it actually.  I removed the second stick of RAM and everything is now installed no problem.  The only problem is that I can't seem to use more than 1 stick of the 2GB RAM at a time....

I downloaded all the updates and still no good.  But at least I'm installed and up and running now
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:53 AM
  • Hi;

I may have a solution for you. I contacted the EVGA support team and the tech tehre told me to increase my voltages for memory from 1.875 to 2.1 (this is done in the Bios un advanced features, if memory serves). At this voltage level, Windows boots with 4gigs. At the original voltage, it would only boot with 2 gigs. The tech said that what happens with this mobo (and most others) is that at 4gb, the draw mobos don't actually meet the 1.875 volt requirement.

Anyway, to make sure this was not a fluke, I turned up and down the voltage about 5 times and it worked/failed (as expected) every time! Also, I ran Flight Simulator 10 on it all last night without problem!

I cant' beleive I was not able to find this solution anywhere on the internet, but the EVGA tech guy had it on his lips.

Please keep me posted.

Best of luck!

Kirk

Friday, January 18, 2008 1:18 PM
  • Hi Kirk, thanks for providing your solution.

I too was having the same problem with my new computer build:

Asus p5n32-e sli motherboard

Antec truepower trio 650w power supply

4 gb Crucial ballistix memory

2 -  500 gb Seagate500 gb hdd (7200.11) running in raid 1 (mirroring)

Windows Vista Ulitmate 64 bit

Originally had this running and decided to upgrade my bios.  Could not get the installation completed with the new bios so rolled it back and could not reinstall windows vista.

Decided to up the memory voltages as you noted in my bios as noted in your post and viola! -   up and running.  I will not be updating my bios as all seems to work fine atm.

I don't know why I have to hunt the internet to find this out.  Why isn't this noted somewhere in the installation information for the motherboard or the Windows Vista Ultimate guidelines?? 

Thanks again for taking the time to post.  Saved me hours of head scratching and a trip to the repair shop.

Paul.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:10 PM