Monitor OWA Performance Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have some users complaining about OWA performance. I understand the amount of performance issues that can result from the external side (client computer, internet connection) but what are some things I can do internally to test any CAS bottlenecks or OWA related performance metrics.  Including PerfMon counters. 

Thanks - SJMP

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:54 PM

Answers

• Hi SJMP,

About the IIS logs, we could analyze the session time to cnfirm the whether there are some long delay, and we could use the tool Log Parser.
    If we could not get useful information, we also could analyze the extrace log, some information for you:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/appssrv/archive/2009/05/18/what-is-an-extrace.aspx
    Finally, we could turn to help from MS support team to analyze the dump log.
    For your issue, I would suggest that you could open a ticket from MS.
    Sorry for no MAC test lab, and it need retrieve more log to analyze.

Regards!
    Gavin

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by SJMP Monday, March 28, 2011 3:31 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hi SJMP,

I would make a test through client which is configued a public IP, if you own other public IP address from ISP, and then connect to your firewal, router or other network devices directly.
    If the owa work well, then we could confirm that it may be related the network issue of the connection between the external client and the company's network. We could use some pathping and other tool to test the network stability.
    We also could use the netmon to confirm the issue on the client, such as session delay.
    Per my known, if the bandwith is power enough, normally, there will not issue when we use the owa to access the mailbox.
    Other performace monitor tool built-in the EMC, we also could use it to moitor the "msexchange owa" to confirm some information.

Regards!
    Gavin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Gavin,

The problem I have is that other users have said that performance is fine, as well as when I tested it externally myself. But due to the sensitive nature of this specific user, I need to be able to pinpoint the exact problem, especially if it is on the users end. 

How would I use EMC to monitor msexchange owa?

I had the user give me their public IP using whatismyip.com

And I dont even see that on our firewall. But that could be related to their ISP. 

I have asked the user to log back in and stay logged in - from Exchange what are some tools I can use to monitor their OWA connection and any performance monitors to track OWA? 

Thanks,

SJMP

Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:47 PM
  • I found the user and his public IP in the IIS logs. But really dont know what to make of it in terms of identifying problems. 

Anything in there I can look at it says he is accessing it via MAC using Safari. 

Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Hi SJMP,

About the IIS logs, we could analyze the session time to cnfirm the whether there are some long delay, and we could use the tool Log Parser.
    If we could not get useful information, we also could analyze the extrace log, some information for you:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/appssrv/archive/2009/05/18/what-is-an-extrace.aspx
    Finally, we could turn to help from MS support team to analyze the dump log.
    For your issue, I would suggest that you could open a ticket from MS.
    Sorry for no MAC test lab, and it need retrieve more log to analyze.

Regards!
    Gavin

• Marked as answer by SJMP Monday, March 28, 2011 3:31 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 7:48 AM