none
Password nonsense RRS feed

• Question

• On my personal computer I use at home, I bought it with Windows 8 with a free upgrade to Windows 8.1  I hate both.  I upgraded to Windows 10 as soon as I could, but now wish I had went back to Windows 7 or even XP!

I want to remove all the password requirements on start up  I have read and tried every thing listed online and in Customer Support.  Nothing works.

How do I remove it

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:56 PM

All replies

• I have several machines running Windows 10.  One is set up to automatically log on to my account.  This is the procedure I used without incident.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3539-sign-user-account-automatically-windows-10-startup.html#option1

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:26 PM
  • Hi,

Please understand that the password is helpful on protecting your files and settings. For security issue, we don't recommend to disable to remove it.

If you really want to do so, Have tried the solution in previous post? We can use PIN for easily logon.

That works for me when I tried, if there is any difficulty to perform these steps, please post back here, and we can provide more explanation on this case.

If you just would like to keep Windows 7, that will be ok. In addition, if you have other questions or concerns about Windows, you are welcome to submit new case in Windows 7 ITpro forum.

Thanks for your feedback on Windows 10.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 1, 2016 8:14 AM
    Owner
  • I agree with your advice Kate. You bet that I don't have auto logon set up on the laptops. Another alternative for star55 would be keylemon (free version). This facial recognition program is not perfect but it works well enough. You do need a camera on your computer. My camera was only $15 at MicroCenter. It also gave me a mike needed to talk to Cortana. Bill
    Monday, August 1, 2016 3:51 PM
  • Hi, 

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 5, 2016 8:11 AM
    Owner
  • Can you please explain how the password is protecting files (when Bitlocker is not used)?

When a burglar enters my house and steals my computer, all he has to do is rip out the drive, mount it under Linux and he can read all the files (or just boot from a Linux live System, when the bios is not protected by a password).

When I am logged in and a trojan is infecting my System, it can read the files regardless if I have set a Password or not.

• Edited by EckiS Friday, August 5, 2016 8:47 AM spelling
    Friday, August 5, 2016 8:46 AM
  • I am not the one to answer this definitively but here goes. 

Thieves are lazy.  Most attacks are not very complex.  If someone loaded a keylogger onto your system via a Trojan then they could get at your data, banking info, etc. in spite of the password. True.  However, most of the attacks I have seen don't go that far. 

If someone stole your hard drive and mounted in in Linux they would still be hard pressed to get the passwords for your banking information.  They are encrypted.  If the drive was mounted in windows, Credentials would not cough up your passwords without you login password.

Kate, I would like to see what you have to say on this.  I suspect there is a deeper answer and I am not a security expert.

Friday, August 5, 2016 4:30 PM
  • As far as I know, most attacks affecting home users in the last years were from trojans.
    A password will not protect your data from a cryptolocker.
    A password will not protect your online banking password from Zeus bot, or any of the newer malware packages.

Friday, August 5, 2016 5:55 PM