Exchange 2007 Management Pack not gathering data from Exchange server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I read that the SCOM management packs were compatible with SCE 2007.  So, I downloaded and imported into SCE with no issue.  However, I'm not getting any alerts of any sort.  Was curious as to if there was any additional configuration for the management pack to start gathering alerts?

I did open up the properties on the alerts within the pack, only to find all the options greyed out.  This makes me think the pack may not be compatible with SCE 2007.

Can anyone with similiar experience offer any guidance?

Thanks,

MDH
    Friday, December 4, 2009 6:40 PM

Answers

• Hi MDH,

By default, the Exchange 2007 Management Pack will not automatically discover any Exchange 2007 Server roles, and no monitoring is distributed to Exchange 2007 servers. Initially, the only discovery that runs automatically is called the Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper Discovery. It is a lightweight registry discovery that runs on all Windows servers. Its only purpose is to discover Exchange 2007 servers in your environment without actually starting monitoring.

To enable monitoring, please refer to the steps in the Exchange 2007 Management Pack Guide.

Thanks

Richard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, February 19, 2010 10:08 AM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hello MDH,

Please be notified that there are two versions of Exchange 2007 MP:

One is Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e9f3cd3f-9bc0-45cd-b10f-120e937ee4c4&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

For SCE, you need to import Exchange 2007 MP for SCOM 2007 SP1:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1A83E112-8677-4E03-83C3-F1B7EBFC3A4B&displaylang=en

Please check if you are using the correct version. You can also read the MP Guide for more details.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, December 14, 2009 10:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by mdh1983 Monday, December 21, 2009 1:55 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Hi MDH,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Monday, December 14, 2009 10:34 AM
  • Sorry for lack of communication....

I have the correct pack installed.  However, in the 'Monitoring' tab, under 'Exchange 2007' node, I'm not seeing any configurable options/properties.  For example, under 'Exchange 2007' > 'Hub Transport' > 'Hub Server Alerts' .... there are lots of check boxes with what appears to be rules you can select/deselect, but all of it is grayed out and I can't select anything.  Also, I see a 'Criteria cannot be configured for this abstract type' on several of the Properties menus.

This is the case for all of the the nodes under Exchange 2007.

It's frustrating to no-end because there isn't much documentation on this from MS and the SCOM 2007 documentation doesn't translate well to SCE.

Thanks,

MDH
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Hi MDH,

By default, the Exchange 2007 Management Pack will not automatically discover any Exchange 2007 Server roles, and no monitoring is distributed to Exchange 2007 servers. Initially, the only discovery that runs automatically is called the Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper Discovery. It is a lightweight registry discovery that runs on all Windows servers. Its only purpose is to discover Exchange 2007 servers in your environment without actually starting monitoring.

To enable monitoring, please refer to the steps in the Exchange 2007 Management Pack Guide.

Thanks

Richard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, February 19, 2010 10:08 AM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:03 PM