What's is SCP and How to find SCP address? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, all

I am a new comer or fresh bird in Exchange field. And I have so many questions, I was confused when I didn't find direct information or answers about my problem. Maybe my questions are simple in your eyes, but I hope you can give me detailed answers about my questions. Thank you very much. Your help give me the greatest progress.

1. What is SCP ? And what are the features of it? In other words, how does SCP use or work?

2. How to find SCP address? Where can find SCP address? To use which tools? Give me several methods if you know details.

If information is too much, you can give me some links. Thank you very much!

Regards.

Friday, August 24, 2012 7:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    Doug Gowans describes ServiceConnectionPoints (SCP) in a very good way in this blog post: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/douggowans/archive/2007/06/28/serviceconnectionpoints.aspx

It works the same way in both Exchange 2007/2010.

If you want to know more about Autodiscover, I recommend that you read:
    White Paper: Exchange 2007 Autodiscover Service

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Jerry__Ye Monday, August 27, 2012 8:32 AM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:00 AM
  • hi,

>>>1. What is SCP ? And what are the features of it? In other words, how does SCP use or work?

A Service-Connection-Point (SCP) object is created in Active Directory. The object contains a URL to the AutoDiscover service. This is for intranet clients so they do not have to use DNS to locate the AutoDiscover service.

>>>2. How to find SCP address? Where can find SCP address? To use which tools? Give me several methods if you know details.

You can use the ADSIedit to locate the scp value in ad. Right click your cas server, open the properties find the attribute serviceBindingInformation.

In Active Directory this object is located at the following location:

DC=<domain>, CN=Configuration, CN=Services, CN=Microsoft Exchange, CN=First Organization, CN=Administrative Groups, CN=Exchange Administrative Group, CN=Servers, CN=<CAS Name>, CN=Protocols, CN=AutoDiscover, CN=<CAS Name>

hope can help you

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Jerry__Ye Monday, August 27, 2012 7:14 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 3:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Doug Gowans describes ServiceConnectionPoints (SCP) in a very good way in this blog post: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/douggowans/archive/2007/06/28/serviceconnectionpoints.aspx

It works the same way in both Exchange 2007/2010.

If you want to know more about Autodiscover, I recommend that you read:
    White Paper: Exchange 2007 Autodiscover Service

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Jerry__Ye Monday, August 27, 2012 8:32 AM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:00 AM
  • hi,

>>>1. What is SCP ? And what are the features of it? In other words, how does SCP use or work?

A Service-Connection-Point (SCP) object is created in Active Directory. The object contains a URL to the AutoDiscover service. This is for intranet clients so they do not have to use DNS to locate the AutoDiscover service.

>>>2. How to find SCP address? Where can find SCP address? To use which tools? Give me several methods if you know details.

You can use the ADSIedit to locate the scp value in ad. Right click your cas server, open the properties find the attribute serviceBindingInformation.

In Active Directory this object is located at the following location:

DC=<domain>, CN=Configuration, CN=Services, CN=Microsoft Exchange, CN=First Organization, CN=Administrative Groups, CN=Exchange Administrative Group, CN=Servers, CN=<CAS Name>, CN=Protocols, CN=AutoDiscover, CN=<CAS Name>

hope can help you

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Jerry__Ye Monday, August 27, 2012 7:14 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 3:52 AM
  • Thank you very much, your answer is the one I looked forward.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 7:15 AM
  • Thank you. I will see the links you gave me.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 7:17 AM