none
errors when adding exchange 2010 to a protection grup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I've seen this question asked before but with no answers for a solution so ...

I have a hyper-v environment of 2008 r2 servers; one of them has DPM 2010 installed, another has exchange 2010 and the rest are irrelevant in this matter

Whenever I try to add the exchange server to a protection group I get several errors "DPM could not enumerate application component microsoft exchange server ..." and "please make sure the writer is in good state" - in the list all the services from exchange are visible and able to be set in a backup plan except for the exchange database (the only thing that actually is needed to have a backup...)

vss writers are ok, backups on that server work (not the exchange db, but everything else), this same error happens with or without exchange sp1 ...

If possible I'd like a clear answer if something can be done and have a reliable dpm server or do I have to start looking for another backup software (email backups are a must in my organization)

Monday, November 1, 2010 3:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Liviu,

Please check if you are also facing the issue reported in this forum with title "Receiving an error when trying to add Exchange server to DPM (Error ID 964)". Refer "Frans Moolenaar" reply in that thread. I have posted the same below for your reference. 

Update your exchange server with latest Exchange 2010 rollups.

**********************************************************************************************************

Hi,

I recently had a similar issue with a customer.

Look into the E14CmdletsWrapperCurr.errlog (on the protected Exchange server in Program Files\Microsoft DPM\Temp) and search for error like:

1704   15A4   01/06  18:00:18.367  31     E14Cmdlets.cs(424)                WARNING       E14Cmdlets:GetDAGName(): Exception Caught = System.Management.Automation.PSArgumentException: The Windows PowerShell snap-in 'Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010' is not installed on this machine.

1704   15A4   01/06  18:00:18.367  31     E14Cmdlets.cs(424)                WARNING          at System.Management.Automation.PSSnapInReader.ReadOne(RegistryKey mshSnapInRoot, String mshsnapinId)

It appeared that there was a problem with the Exchange Powershell files that started after upgrading Exchange 2010 to SP1. We verified if the following Powershell files were present in the %ExchangeInstallPath%\bin directory:

- CommonConnectFunctions.ps1 

- CommonConnectFunctions.strings.psd1 

- Connect-ExchangeServer-help.xml 

- ConnectFunctions.ps1 

- ConnectFunctions.strings.psd1 

- RemoteExchange.ps1 

- RemoteExchange.strings.psd1

Also checked if these registry files existed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns]

@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010]

"CustomPSSnapInType"="Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.AdminPSSnapIn"

"ApplicationBase"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin"

"AssemblyName"="Microsoft.Exchange.PowerShell.Configuration, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"

"Description"="Admin Tasks for the Exchange Server"

"ModuleName"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin\\Microsoft.Exchange.PowerShell.Configuration.dll"

"PowerShellVersion"="1.0"

"Vendor"="Microsoft Corporation"

"Version"="14.0.0.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.Setup]

"CustomPSSnapInType"="Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.SetupPSSnapIn"

"AssemblyName"="Microsoft.Exchange.PowerShell.Configuration, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"

"Description"="Setup Tasks for the Exchange Server"

"ModuleName"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin\\Microsoft.Exchange.PowerShell.configuration.dll"

"Vendor"="Microsoft"

"Version"="14.0.0.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support]

"CustomPSSnapInType"="Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support.SupportPSSnapIn"

"AssemblyName"="Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"

"Description"="Support Tasks for the Exchange Server"

"ModuleName"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin\\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support.dll"

"Version"="14.0.0.0"

Customer was missing 2 of these registry keys. After copying them from a other Exchange 2010 server to this one, DPM could enumerate fine.

After that, we installed SP1 on a Exchange 2010 VM and exactly the same happened. So this can be reproduced.

Hope this will help,

Frans Moolenaar

Nagesh[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Liviu,

Do you have anything in the event log of the protected server at the same time that you attempt to configure protection?
    The error definitely points to an issue communicating with the VSS writer for Exchange which is why I'm curious to see if there are any errors in the event log.

Have you tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling the DPM agent on the problematic server?

From your comments it seems that Exchange and DPM are virtualised? How are the disks in Exchange configured? Are they VHD disks on the same storage or are you using pass thru disks?
    What antivirus are you using on the Exchange server? (we've seen some issues where additional VSS writers caused Exchange VSS to fail).

One thing you can try is to run a Windows Backup on the Exchange server and try to backup the Exchange database as a test. If it works then your Exchange VSS writer is good and the issue lies with the DPM agent. If it fails then you know the issue is with the Exchange VSS writer.

Hope this helps

Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:04 PM
  • sorry for the late reply ... been busy with other issues and I haven't paid any thoughts on this matter recently

the vhd's for dpm and exchange are on separate storage; the exchange agent was not reinstalled since the status is reporting ok (this will be done just to be sure)

I'll also do a test backup of the db file to see if it works ; I'll post the results in a few days

Friday, November 12, 2010 10:22 AM
  • the antivirus used is forefront
    Friday, November 12, 2010 11:07 AM
  • Hello,

If you can go through the "create a protection group" wizard and can enumerate folders from that exchange server then the agent and communication is operating as expected. If you can NOT enumerate the exchange storage groups then the focus needs to be on the exchange vss writer as that is the component that controls that information given to DPM.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=be885d26-25e5-41ff-afc8-506414aed960 

Question: You are certain there are not VSS OR Exchange VSS related errors on the exchange server?
    Question: Are there any special characters in the name of the Storage Groups?
    Question: When you attempt this, can you go to the Exchange server and open a command prompt and type "vssadmin list writers" Does this output show the exchange writer in a pending or error state?
    Question: Can you use Windows Backup to backup the Exchange server? Does this work or does it also fail?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876854.aspx

Thanks
    Shane

Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:20 PM
  • a small update:

on the exchange server the client was installed again - no errors

on dpm I was able to backup the exchange database files by selecting the path to program files ... - I guess at this point the problem lies with dpm since on exchange there are no vss errors and the backup for files works fine

special characters in exchange - the databases have their default naming, just in the server name there is the symbol "-" (exchange-nld); special characters I use only for passwords

Monday, November 15, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Hello,

"on dpm I was able to backup the exchange database files by selecting the path to program files ... - I guess at this point the problem lies with dpm since on exchange there are no vss errors and the backup for files works fine"

Not exactly, the fact that you can backup files from the DPM server let's me know that the DPM agent is working and that VSS is working.  Remember on the exchange server there is two VSS writers.  The VSS writer native to the OS and the Exchange VSS writer.  It's the exchange VSS writer that enumerates the storage groups to DPM.

DPM relies on the Exchange VSS writer on that server to:
      a.) enumerate the storage groups <---This is failing.
      b.) take the exchange storage group snapshot
      c.) truncate the exchange logs

If this piece is broken then DPM is just the victim.

To test this component out for sure. Can you use Windows Backup to backup the Exchange server? Does this work or does it also fail? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876854.aspx

Shane

Monday, November 15, 2010 6:51 PM
  • is there another way to test the exchange vss writer without windows backup?

I have a major lack of free space on the phisical server hosting those virtual machines (18gb free, 82gb needed for the backup) ...

Thursday, November 18, 2010 1:00 PM
  • I managed to free up some space and did a full backup with windows backup (on default settings) - all was ok at the end ...

what to do now on dpm to fix it?

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:47 PM
  • no one has a solution? or an idea to troubleshoot this issue further?
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 1:53 PM
  • Hello,

As you are attempting an enumeration of the exchange storage groups, go to the exchange server and perform from a command prompt vssadmin list writers. Observe the status of the exchange vss writer during this time.

Shane

Sunday, December 5, 2010 2:30 AM
  • tried this before and did it again just now, but all the vss writers, including the exchange one, report no error 
    Monday, December 6, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Are you able to check on both the Exchange server and the DPM server as to whether you receive any error events at the time you are attempting to enumerate the Exchange Databases.

Have you configured Exchange 2010 as a DAG or a single mailbox server? From this article at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876851.aspx
    “If a server hosting the data being backed up is a member of a database availability group (DAG) and hosts both active and passive database copies, you must disable the Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS writer. If the Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS writer is enabled, the backup operation will fail.”

Also have a read of http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb204080(EXCHG.140).aspx to see if this sheds any light.

Are your mailbox databases in Exchange installed onto drive letters local to the Exchange server or are you using mount points to for the location of Mailbox databases, and is Exchange running on Windows 2008R2?.
    "Mount points are currently not supported by the Exchange VSS plug-in, when installed on Windows Server 2008 SP2."

Monday, December 6, 2010 9:29 PM
  • the exchange works as a single mailbox server, the path to the database is the default path (on C drive) and yes I have easy access to both exchange and dpm since all my servers are virtual machines

I'll check those links and get back with the results

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 8:48 AM
  • I've tried to disable the replication writer since it's only one database in use and it's active, but on dpm when adding a protection group i still get the errors with "make sure the writer is in good state"; also on the exchange server i noticed that each time this operation is done an information log appears saying that "The VSS service is shutting down due to idle time out "

is it posible to be communication problem between the dpm and exchange of the vss state ? 

Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Hi Liviu,

Please check if you are also facing the issue reported in this forum with title "Receiving an error when trying to add Exchange server to DPM (Error ID 964)". Refer "Frans Moolenaar" reply in that thread. I have posted the same below for your reference. 

Update your exchange server with latest Exchange 2010 rollups.

**********************************************************************************************************

Hi,

I recently had a similar issue with a customer.

Look into the E14CmdletsWrapperCurr.errlog (on the protected Exchange server in Program Files\Microsoft DPM\Temp) and search for error like:

1704   15A4   01/06  18:00:18.367  31     E14Cmdlets.cs(424)                WARNING       E14Cmdlets:GetDAGName(): Exception Caught = System.Management.Automation.PSArgumentException: The Windows PowerShell snap-in 'Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010' is not installed on this machine.

1704   15A4   01/06  18:00:18.367  31     E14Cmdlets.cs(424)                WARNING          at System.Management.Automation.PSSnapInReader.ReadOne(RegistryKey mshSnapInRoot, String mshsnapinId)

It appeared that there was a problem with the Exchange Powershell files that started after upgrading Exchange 2010 to SP1. We verified if the following Powershell files were present in the %ExchangeInstallPath%\bin directory:

- CommonConnectFunctions.ps1 

- CommonConnectFunctions.strings.psd1 

- Connect-ExchangeServer-help.xml 

- ConnectFunctions.ps1 

- ConnectFunctions.strings.psd1 

- RemoteExchange.ps1 

- RemoteExchange.strings.psd1

Also checked if these registry files existed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns]

@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010]

"CustomPSSnapInType"="Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.AdminPSSnapIn"

"Description"="Admin Tasks for the Exchange Server"

"ModuleName"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin\\Microsoft.Exchange.PowerShell.Configuration.dll"

"Version"="14.0.0.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.Setup]

"CustomPSSnapInType"="Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.SetupPSSnapIn"

"Description"="Setup Tasks for the Exchange Server"

"ModuleName"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin\\Microsoft.Exchange.PowerShell.configuration.dll"

"Vendor"="Microsoft"

"Version"="14.0.0.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support]

"CustomPSSnapInType"="Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support.SupportPSSnapIn"

"AssemblyName"="Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"

"Description"="Support Tasks for the Exchange Server"

"ModuleName"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Exchange Server\\V14\\bin\\Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Powershell.Support.dll"

"Version"="14.0.0.0"

Customer was missing 2 of these registry keys. After copying them from a other Exchange 2010 server to this one, DPM could enumerate fine.

After that, we installed SP1 on a Exchange 2010 VM and exactly the same happened. So this can be reproduced.

Hope this will help,

Frans Moolenaar

Nagesh[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:44 AM
  • Nageshbk,

I know this thread is well over a year old now, but I want to report that your answer was spot-on in for me.  In our case, we were missing all of the files you listed, as well as two of the registry keys.  Restoring all of these fixed the problem immediately.  Excellent catch!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:23 AM