any way to extract the files from a Mig file? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, can somebody please help. I've been trying to help my mother sort out a problem with her computer but unfortunately the only option was to reset it to the factory settings, i used the so called easy file transfer program saved everything, it told me it completed the save fine onto an external source reset the computer but the easy file transfer will not reload the files. They contain pictures of my dad before his accident, my late Grandmother and my kids when they were born, so as i hope you can understand my mother is devastated and i feel terrible because i put my trust in a program that just does not work :-( i need to extract the files from this .MIG file can someone please please help?
    its a standard vista home os.
    I have looked at the other posts there are a few comments about this, but none offer a solution and are quite old posts one mentions a download of microsoft easy transfer extraction tool but its off of a pirate site (no thanks).
    Dave
    Friday, September 25, 2009 12:49 AM

All replies

• Please Please can someone help this is getting quite upsetting for my mother and me. I know I sound a bit of a mummy's boy, but these files contain very sentimental things that we do not want to lose through another windows program that does not do what it says.  ;-(

Many thanks to anyone that can help.

Dave

Saturday, September 26, 2009 11:03 AM
  • Hi Dave

FYI

Please post your problem to Windows Vista Migration Forum. Similar threads exists already for the same sort of problem.

Sampath 
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:08 AM
  • Thanks KannanSampathKumar will have a look if i can find it ?
    So far been passed around from site to site, just because i dont know a lot about forums etc.
    Not even one of the moderators has talked to me yet and i'm on about 3 different er think there called threads, due to being told need to post on this one or that one....
    Just a little propper help is all i want :-( all this just because i tried to help my mother....

Sorry about the rant...

Davey
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Hi

Just checking. Were you able to solve the problem.

Sampath
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:06 PM

• Hi, Sampath

No not solved it yet :-( think the moderators are probably sick of hearing about this kind of problem by the looks of it :-/
    still i've got to keep trying.

someone else on one of the other threads i've asked for help on has exactly same problem we said we'll let
    each other know if we have any luck but not looking good so far.

Davey
    Monday, October 5, 2009 1:24 AM

• Hi,

Still my problem is not sorted but i do know Microsoft have a way of extacting the files there's quite
    a lot of people still asking on various threads this is one of them
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistamigration/thread/e288c1df-e20e-403a-b81f-63ab20377abe?prof=required

think most people just get fed up of asking, and the tech guy's are prob fed up of hearing about it,
    because they are not actually sorting or helping with the solution. I dont know if it comes from higher up that
    they are not allowed to? so that they can earn money off people having to call Microsoft, or if they
    just carnt be bothered ???

Davey
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:27 PM