none
KMS Client does not record any event messages to the Key Management Service log RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Whenever an event or problem should occur with KMS Client product activation on a Windows Vista (or Windows 7) client, I should expect a succes, informational, warning or error event message to be recorded within the event viewer node Applications and services -> Key Management Service. However, I never seem to get any event messages recorded in this or any other event log for this service.
    Even when I force SLMGR to rearm, or activate Windows Vista or Window 7 with a valid key, I should expect any event be recorded, but no event message can be found in any of the available logfiles.

My questions

- How can I enable KMS Client or SLMGR to log event messages to the event log of a Windows Vista or Window 7 client?
    - Is it possible to determine the level of eventlogging for this service?

Enabling event recording to any event log should help with tracing product activation problems.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings Fred
    • Moved by Andy Song Friday, June 19, 2009 2:37 AM Activation issue (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:03 AM

Answers

• Hello Darrell,

I used your information for further analysis.
    Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 record their KMS client events in the same event log, but use different source names.

Operating system

Functionality

Event log

Source

Windows Server 2008

KMS Host

Applications and Services log / Key management service

Windows Server 2008

KMS Client

Windows logs / Application

Security-Licensing-SLC

Windows Vista

KMS Client

Security-Licensing-SLC

Windows 7

KMS Client

Security-SPP

I couldn't verify the KMS host source records, but the location where KMS client store their events is clear for now.
    My question is solved. Thanks for your response.

Greetings Fred
    • Marked as answer by Fonebone Monday, June 22, 2009 7:35 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hello Fred,
    This is on the KMS host machine correct?  The key management service log is for the KMS host machine to log into.
    The KMS client machines log the sucess, informational, warnings or error messages to the Application log
    Under Source these would be the "Security-Licensing-SLC events.
    Let's check if this machine is a KMS host or KMS client
    Open an elevated cmd prompt and run slmgr /dlv and report back the output.
    <remove any private information like compternames from the output>
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 10:17 PM
  • Hello Darrell,

I used your information for further analysis.
    Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 record their KMS client events in the same event log, but use different source names.

Operating system

Functionality

Event log

Source

Windows Server 2008

KMS Host

Applications and Services log / Key management service

Windows Server 2008

KMS Client

Security-Licensing-SLC

Windows Vista

KMS Client

Security-Licensing-SLC

Windows 7

KMS Client

Security-SPP

I couldn't verify the KMS host source records, but the location where KMS client store their events is clear for now.
    My question is solved. Thanks for your response.

Greetings Fred
    • Marked as answer by Fonebone Monday, June 22, 2009 7:35 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:34 AM
  • So what is the point of having an event log on a local machine (client side) that never gets anything written to it?
    Monday, April 12, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Hello cfizz34,

Not sure I follow what you are asking. 

Which event log are you asking about?

The KMS event log only exists on the KMS host machine, it doesn't exist on the KMS clients, unless that client was once a KMS host, then it may remain there if once created.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:05 PM
  • When I am deploying new Windows 7 and 2008 R2 boxes I am seeing a 'Key Management Service' blank event log under Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Applications and Services?  Why is that log view there on KMS client machines?
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Hello cfizz34,

Sorry I was looking in the wrong spot for the log.

I think it was intended for some of the KMS events that are in the application log.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:42 AM