One DVD Drive Still Visible in Windows Explorer Left Pane Even When Empty RRS feed

• Question

• I have two DVD drives: E: and F:. E: is always visible in the Windows Explorer left pane even if it is empty, and if a disk is inserted, the disk label does not appear. F: works correctly, though. File and disk operations work correctly for both drives.

I tried checking and unchecking the "Show All Folders" option in Organize | Folder and Search Options.

Is there a way to repair this? Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:37 PM

Answers

• I was able to solve the problem by deleting the drivers for both drives in Device Manager and rebooting the system so that the drives can be re-discovered.

• Marked as answer by Ralfyman Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ralfyman Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ralfyman Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:49 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:49 PM

All replies

• I was able to solve the problem by deleting the drivers for both drives in Device Manager and rebooting the system so that the drives can be re-discovered.

• Marked as answer by Ralfyman Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ralfyman Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ralfyman Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:49 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:49 PM
  • The two DVD drives are always ment to show on Windows Explorer (Even when empty!).

It is normal if the DVD names do not display on Windows Explorer.

Most of the time it is your Motherboard or DVD drive.

I would get a new DVD drives and it may work.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:54 PM
  • I think it should not if the option above is unchecked.

The problem is back, though, although both drives work fine.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Have you done some tweaks in Windows Explorer? How does it work if you log on with another user account?

You may find a good system. Then open regedit in the system and locate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions

Right-click on FolderDescriptions, choose export. Save it with name FolderDescriptions.reg. Then copy this file to the problematic system, and run the file to import all of the Registry keys.

If the issue is not resolved, please run SFC /scannow to try to fix the system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, August 20, 2010 7:58 AM
  • This is weird, but the problem disappeared a few hours later and hasn't appeared since. I'll let you know how it goes.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:51 PM