Windows 10 ver 1803 Intermittent network issue RRS feed

• Question

• After installing the 1803 update I am now having intermittent problems with networking.  Prior to 1803 I used homegroup sharing and it worked fine.  When homegroup was removed I switched to workgroup and have not had reliable networking ever since.  

I am trying to share folders on a wired two-computer network at my house.  It works intermittently but often it fails.

Call the computers compA and compB.  Both computers are running Win10, including the 1803 update.  Both computers belong to the same workgroup.  I log in as administrator, and Sitting at compA, I click on Network, double click on the compB icon in an attempt to browse networked folders, and I get an error message "Windows cannot access \\compB".  Error 0x80070035.  The network troubleshooter cannot find the problem.

The folder I am trying to share has read/write sharing enabled and has security permissions set appropriately.   The firewall is disabled on both computers.

From compA I try pinging compB and that works.  Next I enter "dir \\CompB\<foldername>, where "foldername" is the name of a folder on CompB that has sharing enabled.  After a slight pause, this correctly lists the contents of the specified folder.  Returning to the Windows GUI, I click on Network, double click on the compB icon, and now I can successfully browse all shared folders on compB.  So the action of issuing the dir command allowed me to view the same folder(s) that I was previously unable to view. 

I come back 15 minutes later and once again I am unable to browse the network.

For both computers:
    SMB 1.0/CIFS is off
    Function Discovery Provider Host is running, delayed start
    Function Discovery Resource Publication is running, delayed start
    Private Network discovery and file and printer sharing are turned on
    Public Network discovery and file and printer sharing are turned off
    128 bit encryption and password protected sharing are turned on
    The firewall is disabled on both computers.

I have also issued the following command on both computers
    net config server /autodisconnect:-1

The problem remains.  I am running out of things to try.  Any suggestions?

Monday, July 2, 2018 6:35 PM

Answers

• The problem remains.  I am running out of things to try.  Any suggestions?

This is known issue in 1803.  Since you're only dealing with two PC's, some things others have found to help are:

• rename PC's
    • turn off IPv6
    • browse by IP address instead of name
    • instead of Network under File Explorer, right click on the This PC view and add a network location using IP address
    • make sure to include credentials for your shares in the Credential Manager
    • Marked as answer by Johnsatx Tuesday, July 3, 2018 1:49 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2018 7:13 PM

All replies

• The problem remains.  I am running out of things to try.  Any suggestions?

This is known issue in 1803.  Since you're only dealing with two PC's, some things others have found to help are:

• rename PC's
    • turn off IPv6
    • browse by IP address instead of name
    • instead of Network under File Explorer, right click on the This PC view and add a network location using IP address
    • make sure to include credentials for your shares in the Credential Manager
    • Marked as answer by Johnsatx Tuesday, July 3, 2018 1:49 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2018 7:13 PM
  •   Thank you. Simply adding a network location was all I needed to do to solve my similar problem.

Bill

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 12:13 AM
  • Just using net use command to map the network drives, then you can access to the share folders on the other PC easily.

We have submitted this situation to Microsoft via our channel, please keep your system is up to date, the latest update KB4284848 has fixed an issue about SMBv1, update to this 17134.137 build and test again.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 2:10 AM
  • Turning off IPv6 made the difference for me.  Thanks a lot.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 1:50 PM
  • I am leyman, i don't even know what the word code means.
    BUt for me, they moved the settings in adapter settings. 
    Allow to Stream to media devices used to be under "Private" network'ds own settings, it is now only found in "All networks" settings.
    I turned it back on, and hey pesto, green guey flavour paste! (network works again)
    Sunday, July 8, 2018 3:37 AM
  • Replace the name of the computer with the IP Address in your shares and mapped network drives....

Ex:

\\192.168.0.2\documents

instead of

\\server\documents

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 10:18 PM
  • Any fix for this yet?  I have tried everything, it works for a while and then quits again.  Very frustrating!
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:22 PM
  • I'm having this issue intermittently too. Sharing folders used to be easy, then they deleted Homegroups for no apparent reason, and simultaneously broke the system that was supposed to replace it. Really cool that this made it past testing. Really cool that as a home user I am forced to take these broken updates and act as an unpaid beta tester. Really cool that I'm forced to wade through a half-finished mess of settings menus to troubleshoot this. I look forward to MS ignoring this for years to come.

I can confirm that the above-noted workaround works, thank you!

Note that in all practicality you should set up a static IP address before using Bill Andrews' workaround. So the steps are:

1. Set up a static IP address on the PC you'd like to share from
    2. On the second PC, access the shared folder by typing in File Explorer "\\192.168.xxx.xxx\whatever", or
    3. Map the network drive. On the second PC, go File Explorer > Computer ribbon > Map a Network Drive. Type the above IP address in "Folder". This gets you halfway to restoring the broken functionality, as this folder is now accessible through the left pane of File Explorer.

If that doesn't work, make sure on both PCs that all the "SMB" checkboxes are checked in Windows Features.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 6:03 AM
  • FWIW, I had network visibility and shares trouble, spending a few hours tracking down possible causes and ending up here.

I was able to see other computers on the LAN, but I wasn't able to access their shares. It was unbelievably frustrating.

I left the problem for the next day, but watching various behaviours around the LAN and listening to streaming audio via earplugs from my Android phone, I noticed intermittent errors - slow file access, where it was possible, and blank audio spots for a second or two.

My wi-fi router cabled off my ISP's cable modem became suspicious. I looked at the router, a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk, where it was reporting an upgrade was available, in spite of my having set an auto-update item. I had it upgrade itself followed by its reboot - and all LAN shares reappeared and became accessible. A reboot only was likely necessary, but both seemed worthwhile.

Lesson: reboot your router(s).

Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:36 PM
  • I renamed one PC, Turned off IPv6 from both PCs and mapped the network drive on both PCs yesterday.  Both are working fine so far which is a huge step up!  Thank you.
    • Edited by TrudyW Saturday, February 16, 2019 3:24 PM
    Saturday, February 16, 2019 3:21 PM