none
Failed to Provision Project Web Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I attempted to provision a project web access site (Project Server 2007 inside a MOSS 2007 environment).  My environment has a PWA site that has been running successfully for a year or two.  We want to add a second one.

I went in to provision the PWA site and used a different site name, not the default PWA, and used different database names, but the same database server.

The provisioning fails within a few minutes of starting, seems to be right after creating the databases with the following event  log entries (not much detail).

Event ID: 6791, Failed to provision site NPGS

Event ID: 6966, Provisioning 'NPGS': Post provisioning setup failed

Event ID: 7013, Provisioning 'NPGS': Post provision setup failed

Event ID 7383, ProjectSite post provision setup completed with errors;

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

DP

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:03 AM

Answers

• Take the complete farm & individual databases backup.

Yes, you can follow that article.

Disconnect the newly added servers(MOSS+PS) from the farm. Upgrade the (WSS+PS) machine to (MOSS+PS) and install the necessary patches on all the servers equally. Later add the other two servers to the existing farm.

Later try to provision the PWA. Most probably you may need to create new SSP if the PWA failed to provision.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    • Marked as answer by dp26 Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:46 AM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:34 AM
  • I would try to provision PWA after step 6.

Insert step 12 in between 6 and 7.

Later add the rest of the servers.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:35 PM

All replies

• Is it a brand new project databases?

If no, create with brand new and check the behaviour.

If yes, did you check the service account has adequate permission on the farm?

If it is old database, can you run the following query on the Published database?

select res_type from msp_resources where wres_account like 'admin NT account'

If that was 102, make it 2 and check the status.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:25 AM
  • Hi Sriram Es,

Yes, this was for a new PWA site in an existing Project Server 2007 environment.  The service account has the SecurityAdmin and DBCreator roles on the database server.  The account is also listed in the Farm Administrators group.

I ran the query against the new database and it returned a single result with '2' as the value.  What should I try next?

Just an FYI, I ran it against the old database and it returned 0 results for my admin account.

Thanks,

DP

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Did you try to create PWA on new or existing web application? Try on new web application.

Are you able to create new site collection manually?

Can you check the ULS logs for detailed error?

Can you reapply the SSP account password?

If possible create PWA under new SSP and observe the behaviour.

Can you run the sharepoint config wizard once? (Keep in mind that this may need production downtime).

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Hi Sriram Es,

To answer your questions:

I tried to create the new PWA on an existing web application.  I do not want to create it under a new web application or SSP because we want the two PWA sites under the same web application and friendly URL (i.e. http://projects.company.com/pwa1 and http://projects.company.com/pwa2).

I am able to create a new site collection manually through Central Admin.

I re-applied the SSP account password.

The ULS Logs show the database tasks complete successfully, the post provision setup completes successfully.  Then it looks like the following exception is logged:

Project Server Provisioning       7383    Critical    ProjectSite post provision setup completed with errors;     
    Project Server Provisioning       8yk4    Exception     Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Failed to find the XML file at location '12\Template\Features\ReviewWorkflows\Feature.xml'     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPXmlDocCache.GetGlobalXmlDocumentCore(String pathXml, Boolean bFeature)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPXmlDocCache.GetGlobalXmlDocument(String pathAllFeaturesRelativeXml)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFeatureDefinition.EnsureGlobalDefinition()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFeatureDefinition.get_Scope()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(Guid featureId, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Add(Guid featureId)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Config.WireUpDlc()     at Microsoft.Offic...     
    Project Server Provisioning       8yk4    Exception    ...e.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Config.PostProvisioningSetup(Guid adminGuid)     
    Project Server Provisioning       7013    Critical    Provisioning 'NPGS': Post provision setup failed.     
    Project Server Provisioning       6966    Critical    Provisioning 'NPGS': Post provisioning setup failed.

I'm not able to re-run the config wizard until after business hours.  Is there anything else to try in the mean time?

Thank you,

DP

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:31 PM
  • I noticed that the folder referenced "ReviewWorkflows" is on two of my three web-front end servers.  However it is not on the server that the Shared Services Provider is running on.  Should I copy it over?  What else might be missing and why?

Thanks,

DP

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:47 PM
  • So it looks like my two new servers have the MOSS 2007 installed and my old server only has WSS installed.  Can I run the MOSS install on the old server, rerun the configuration wizard on the old server, and attempt to reprovision?  Or is there a different option?
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Failed to find the XML file at location '12\Template\Features\ReviewWorkflows\Feature.xml'    

Looks like some binary mismatch.

Yes, you have to keep all the servers on the same version.

Install MOSS 2007 and Project server 2007 on all the machines in the farm. (Including your Web front end.)

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Hi Sriram,

So, Web1 has WSS and PS (up to SP2).  Web 2 and 3 have MOSS and PS (up to SP2).  All servers are currently joined to the farm.  Is it "safe" to install the binaries for MOSS 2007 (SP2) and rerun the config wizard on Web1, since PS is already installed?

Thanks,

DP

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Also, what you are saying is that I need to follow the steps listed here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262342%28office.12%29.aspx#section2) for Install Office SharePoint Server 2007 over Windows SharePoint Services 3.0?

Thanks,

DP

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Take the complete farm & individual databases backup.

Yes, you can follow that article.

Disconnect the newly added servers(MOSS+PS) from the farm. Upgrade the (WSS+PS) machine to (MOSS+PS) and install the necessary patches on all the servers equally. Later add the other two servers to the existing farm.

Later try to provision the PWA. Most probably you may need to create new SSP if the PWA failed to provision.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Hi Sriram Es,

I just want to confirm the steps one more time.

1. Take a complete farm backup
    2. Take database backups
    3. Take snapshots (the web servers are virtual, so I will do this as well)
    4. Run the config wizard on Web2 and Web3 to disconnect from the farm
    5. Run the config wizard on Web1 to make it the Central Admin host (I previously moved this to web 2)
    6. Upgrade Web1 to MOSS w/SP2 (PS SP2 is already installed on Web1)
    7. Web2 and Web3 already have the binaries for MOSS and PS SP2, so no need to update/patch
    8. Run the config wizard on Web1 and leave it as the Central Admin host (I may move it later)
    9. Verify central admin and sites
    10. Run the config wizard on Web2 and Web3 to join them to the farm
    11. Check services enabled in Farm and other configuration settings
    12. Try to provision the new PWA site

Thanks,

DP

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:41 PM
  • I would try to provision PWA after step 6.

Insert step 12 in between 6 and 7.

Later add the rest of the servers.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:35 PM