none
SCOM 2016 "Updates and Recommendations" not working

Question

• Hi All

We have upgraded to SCOM 2016 UR1 (and the console speed is really nice and fast)
    But the new "Update and Recommendations" is not working, we I click it's shows the following.

Can one of you help me out?

Here are the error output:

Date: 28-11-2016 13:40:34
    Application: Operations Manager
    Application Version: 7.2.11719.0
    Severity: Error
    System.Exception: An error occurred while displaying the Updates and Recommendations View.  This might be because the database query has encountered an issue or the online catalog service is down. Please wait a few minutes and try your request again. ---> System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
       at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
       at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Views.UpdatesAndRecommendationsView.GetInstalledManagementPackDetailsFromOpsDB()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Views.UpdatesAndRecommendationsView.PopulateWorkLoadList()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Views.UpdatesAndRecommendationsView.PopulateWorkLoadList()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Views.UpdatesAndRecommendationsView.LoadWorkLoadsJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)
    System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
       at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Views.UpdatesAndRecommendationsView.GetInstalledManagementPackDetailsFromOpsDB()

Monday, November 28, 2016 12:47 PM

Answers

• run this query from SCOM Powershell command prompt and check whether it has duplicate entries of any MP with same name (case insensitive). Remove the duplicate MP and it should solve the issue.

Get-SCManagementPack | Sort -property Name | Format-Table Name,Version,Sealed -AutoSize | Out-File "c:\mplist_Name.txt"

• Proposed as answer by AmbersEd Monday, February 27, 2017 8:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by RasmusHC Wednesday, March 08, 2017 5:33 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 7:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I would like to suggest you check whether you can connect to management pack catalog web service when you try to add download management packs through SCOM console.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:00 AM
  • Same issue here. Please help.

Note:  The following information was gathered when the operation was attempted.  The information may appear cryptic but provides context for the error.  The application will continue to run.

System.Exception: An error occurred while displaying the Updates and Recommendations View.  This might be because the database query has encountered an issue or the online catalog service is down. Please wait a few minutes and try your request again. ---> System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Views.UpdatesAndRecommendationsView.LoadWorkLoadsJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)
    System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:18 PM
  • Hello,

Do you have proxy set? If there is, please follow the article below to modify your config file:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/scom_atlas/2013/02/28/scom-mp-catalog-wont-connect/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:33 AM
  • Yes, proxy is set, but the part that bothers me is "System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.". It seems that a duplicate exists somewhere... but don't know where to look.

Cheers,

Tom

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:21 AM
  • Hi Yan Li

Thank you a lot for your input.

But we are not using proxy and we easely access the "management pack catalog web service" when we use download og import MP.

I'm thinking the same as Tom, it might be a duplicate key somewhere base in the exception - but I don't know where to look?

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:00 PM
  • Same problem here.

and yes the try to add download management packs from catalog works fine..

Thursday, December 01, 2016 8:27 AM
  • Hello,

Would you please view all management packs and check whether you have duplicated MPs.

You can sort all management pack by name, this way you can see duplicated management packs.

Regards,

Yan Li

Thursday, December 01, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Hi Yan Li,

My list of installed MPs does not show duplicates...

Thursday, December 01, 2016 9:02 AM
  • No duplicates in my either.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Thursday, December 01, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Hi all,

I can confirm I have this issue also. This manifested itself from an upgrade from OpsMgr 2012 R2 to OpsMgr 2016. It was a problem with the RTM code, and has not been resolved by UR1.

After reading that some others have experienced this problem also, I did manage to find that the 'Updates and Recommendations' view is itself a management pack. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it (available on the installation media), but this made no difference. However, one observation I did make, was that in an uninstalled state, by clicking the 'Updates and Recommendations' view, the same error is observed. This potentially makes me wonder whether the problem is actually not even getting as far as whatever is contained within the management pack. ie. code of the link itself?

Anyway, just my observations, and no luck as yet.

ac

Sunday, December 04, 2016 11:01 PM
  • I can add that we are having the same issue in our production environment.  Our non-production environment is a much newer installation and was also upgraded from 2012 R2, but does not have the issue.

Ambers

Friday, December 30, 2016 4:18 PM
  • run this query from SCOM Powershell command prompt and check whether it has duplicate entries of any MP with same name (case insensitive). Remove the duplicate MP and it should solve the issue.

Get-SCManagementPack | Sort -property Name | Format-Table Name,Version,Sealed -AutoSize | Out-File "c:\mplist_Name.txt"

Monday, February 27, 2017 7:12 PM

Monday, February 27, 2017 7:13 PM

• Proposed as answer by AmbersEd Monday, February 27, 2017 8:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by RasmusHC Wednesday, March 08, 2017 5:33 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 7:14 PM
  • This resolved my issue.  These were my duplicates.  I removed the older version of each and the issue was resolved immediately.

Microsoft.SystemCenter.Apm.Library.Resources.ENU
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Apm.Library.Resources.enu

Microsoft.SystemCenter.WebApplicationSolutions.Library.Resources.ENU
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.WebApplicationSolutions.Library.Resources.enu

Ambers

Monday, February 27, 2017 8:11 PM
  • The same MPs are for me!

And when I remove them, the "updates and recommendations" are work well!

Chandra Bose (ChandraB) - Thanks!

Monday, February 27, 2017 8:47 PM
  • That is brilliant - the trick also solved it for me.
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate your input!

I had these 2 MP's:

Microsoft.SystemCenter.WebApplicationSolutions.Library.Resources.enu   (I deleted this one)
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.WebApplicationSolutions.Library.Resources.ENU

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 5:33 PM
  • Very similar issue here, but mine is a problem with 'NULL' not duplicates (which has been confirmed)  I've clearedcache, restarted, but nothing.

Date: 5/23/2017 11:01:42 AM
    Application: Operations Manager
    Application Version: 7.2.11822.0
    Severity: Error
    System.Exception: An error occurred while displaying the Updates and Recommendations View.  This might be because the database query has encountered an issue or the online catalog service is down. Please wait a few minutes and try your request again. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: key
       at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Views.UpdatesAndRecommendationsView.PopulateCategoryAndMPsFromOnlineCatalog(Int32 id, String previousWorkLoadDisplayName, Boolean language, MPLanguage mpLanguage)
    System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Views.UpdatesAndRecommendationsView.PopulateCategoryAndMPsFromOnlineCatalog(Int32 id, String previousWorkLoadDisplayName, Boolean language, MPLanguage mpLanguage)

B. Wright

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:06 PM
  • I'm seeing the same issue as B. Wright - no duplicate MPs on my SCOM installation, also seeing the "System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null." error every time I click on the "Updates & Recommendations" Node.

Just did a side-by-side migration from SCOM2012R2 to SCOM2016; feature was working just two days ago. Actually no idea what broke it.

Joerg
    • Edited by Joerg Ott Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:50 AM Typo
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:19 AM
  • I'm also seeing the same issue as B. Wright.

I have done the following:

• Confirmed that I don't have any duplicate MP's within my SCOM 2016 UR 3 environment.
    • Cleared the Console Cache and restarted.

I am also seeing the "System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null." error every time I click on the "Updates & Recommendations" Node.

Paul

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:55 AM
  • Just a short update:
    Catalog service is running fine - I can import MPs directly from the catalog, also searching for updates for currently installed MPs works (actually it shows e.g. the updated Cluster MPs). So there's no connection issues between my local server(s) and the catalog website.

Joerg

P.S.:
    Just checked my installed MPs - did some imports on May 19th, "Updates & Recommendations" was working fine back then, started to fail on Monday (May 22nd); at least I realized the error on Monday.

As the next MPs were imported today (May 24th) I think I can't blame any MP import to be causing the error.

• Edited by Joerg Ott Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:54 AM Typo
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:46 AM
  • Mine was working the morning of Monday 5/22 as well.  I thought I did something to break it as I installed some 3rd party MPs (from the partner solutions) but am considering doing a restore of my VM from Sunday.  HOWEVER with others having the same problem around the same time it makes me believe Microsoft has done something on their side.  

Is there a catalog status page one can reference?

I'm about to install UR3 that was released yesterday to see if that will kick it in the butt, but I really would like a solution ASAP this is holding up my SCOM 2016 implementation.

B. Wright

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:40 AM
  • Same issue here. I previously had the error with duplicate MP:s But i deleted those and it worked until now.

I have the same error on two seprate setups. I installed UR3 on both today and I´m not sure if the error was present before the update.

System.Exception: An error occurred while displaying the Updates and Recommendations View.  This might be because the database query has encountered an issue or the online catalog service is down. Please wait a few minutes and try your request again. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:53 PM
  • Thanks@Harmankardon - that basically points to a problem on MS site.

Joerg

P.S.:
    Any issues so far with UR3?
    I disabled APM feature on a few agents with UR2 and now I'm unsure how to re-enable it after deploying UR3...

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:32 PM
  • I have not seen any issues with UR3. 

We had some machines that were affected by the APM bug earlier so we reinstalled those agents with "NOAPM". We dont use that function so I dont think we will reinstall them now with APM enabled.

A question to others in the thread. Do you have some nonenglish management packs?

I see that the stack dump includes "Boolean language, MPLanguage mpLanguage)" and we have some packs that use another language than english.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:36 PM
  • Personally, I do not have any NON-English MPs.  Currently, since the reinstall my installed MPs are very vanilla and only from the MSFT catalog.

B. Wright

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:40 PM
  • Nope, no foreign language packs, just english.
    One of my goals with that side-by-side migration was to eliminate exactly those foreign language MPs I had in my "old" 2012 R2 SCOM...

Joerg
    • Edited by Joerg Ott Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:52 PM
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:51 PM
  • Just out of curiosity, are you seeing any weird issues in the Tune Management Packs view as well?  I am wondering if these two issues are related.  When I click on the "Tune Management Packs" view I see about 20 management packs listed and then what looks like a blank management pack with no name, and below that the pane is black.  If I click in the black part, the a management pack name and hit count appears.  If I click on the blank line between the listed packs and the blacked out area I get this error.Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.ObjectNotFoundException: An object of class ManagementPack with ID 7a920be5-d53c-fa2d-07a8-b415265e95b0 was not found.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.LegacyTypeSpaceCacheBaseWithManagementPacks.GetManagementPack(Guid id)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementPackManagement.GetManagementPack(Guid id)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Administration.Views.TuneManagementPackView.OnPropertiesCommand(Object sender, CommandEventArgs args)
       at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, DataGridViewCellEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:35 PM
  • Same issue here. Under tune management pack I have a blank management pank. And when I select that I get a crash like above.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:11 PM
  • Same issue on my end with the "Tune Management Packs" view as well.

So frustrating....

Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:04 PM
  • I just tested my installation again and now it works. No change on my side.

Microsoft what have you done?

The tune management pack still has a blank row though.

Monday, May 29, 2017 8:29 AM
  • I just tested my installation again and now it works. No change on my side.

Microsoft what have you done?

The tune management pack still has a blank row though.

I love how Microsoft hasn't stated anything.

B. Wright

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:38 PM