Avoiding Language Packs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am experiencing some minor issues when installing updates from my WSUS server. Everytime I initiate a windows update, it automatically tries to install all the optional language packs despite I have only chosen English and Danish content in the WSUS settings. The update itself passes through like a charm but I can see in the 'Installed Updates' section, that it is trying to install all said language packs (but ofcourse fails).

Is there a way to make windows update exclude these optional language packs, or atleast let me choose which to include in my stored updates on my WSUS server?

As extra information, I am initiating the windows update through a 'Faronics Core Console' which operates our 'Deepfreeze' software (by Faronics), but I have talked to that company and they have informed me that all updates initialized through their console, is either done by the global windows update servers or the optional WSUS server and therefore not handled by their software at all. 

This is my first time working with a WSUS server, so I will gladly explain the entire situation and setup in details if needed.

Thank you in advance,

Jonas

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:25 AM

Answers

• Everytime I initiate a windows update, it automatically tries to install all the optional language packs despite I have only chosen English and Danish content in the WSUS settings.

[...]

This is my first time working with a WSUS server,

There are way too many variables involved here to make an actual diagnosis, but my best educated guess, based on these two statements, is that this client is not actually configured to use WSUS.

Faronics is right, all they're doing is telling the WUA to go scan for available updates. If the English and Danish LPs are the only ones approved in WSUS, if the client was actually using that WSUS server those would be the only two updates it could get.

Since it's seeing *ALL* of the LPs, the only logical conclusion is that the client is not actually configured to use a WSUS server and is scanning Windows Update (which, Faronics notes, is the other possible mode of operation).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:08 AM
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:05 PM

All replies

• Everytime I initiate a windows update, it automatically tries to install all the optional language packs despite I have only chosen English and Danish content in the WSUS settings.

[...]

This is my first time working with a WSUS server,

There are way too many variables involved here to make an actual diagnosis, but my best educated guess, based on these two statements, is that this client is not actually configured to use WSUS.

Faronics is right, all they're doing is telling the WUA to go scan for available updates. If the English and Danish LPs are the only ones approved in WSUS, if the client was actually using that WSUS server those would be the only two updates it could get.

Since it's seeing *ALL* of the LPs, the only logical conclusion is that the client is not actually configured to use a WSUS server and is scanning Windows Update (which, Faronics notes, is the other possible mode of operation).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:08 AM
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:05 PM
  • You were kind of right about the WSUS not being configured correctly.

I found out that it is critical to create to a Computer Group for my workstations. This also helps with the configuration in the Faronics Core Console, when initializing the Windows Update task, as there is an option to specify which Group to assign the updates. I guess it was stubborn of me to think that making a group was unnecessesary :) The workstation even got all its updates approved in the WSUS console (before it was stuck at 70%)

So far there are no reports of any issues, and its not recklessly trying to install the optional language packs anymore. I will however keep testing to see if my issue is completely solved. I will post an update when i'm done.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:32 AM