Message Delivery Restrictions - bounce back mail to people not in a specific distributionlist RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

I'm looking for a solution so our external senders get a bounce back mail if they mail to one of our shops, except if the external address is in a distributionlist which excludes them from this restriction.

At the moment all our shop mailboxes are configured with message delivery restrictions, only senders in the following list (where we put our internal and external users / contacts in).

The only problem is that the external emailaddress doesn't get any form of response that his/her mail is blocked from being sent.

No undeliverable or anything. For Internal users they can allready see the restriction in their outlook client when trying to select the shop in the TO: field.

I'm looking under the transport rules if I could get this to work. What's the best way to approach ?

We allready have a distributionlist for the allowed users / contacts and also a distributionlist where all the shops are listed

• Edited by Maffiow Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:17 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:15 PM

Answers

• I would use a rule instead, yes.

Example:

If recipient is a member of  <ShopDL> and the sender is located outside the Organization, then 

reject the message with the explanation "add text here"

except if:

the sender is a member of this group <Allowed DL>

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-LiModerator Friday, June 26, 2015 6:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maffiow Friday, June 26, 2015 12:59 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:30 PM

All replies

• I would use a rule instead, yes.

Example:

If recipient is a member of  <ShopDL> and the sender is located outside the Organization, then 

reject the message with the explanation "add text here"

except if:

the sender is a member of this group <Allowed DL>

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-LiModerator Friday, June 26, 2015 6:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maffiow Friday, June 26, 2015 12:59 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:30 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response,

I've now created a transport rule like this:

From users that are 'Outside the organization'

and sent to a member of 'DL-shops@xxxxxx.com'

send 'Not allowed to send mail to this address please contact ICT xxxx for whitelisting' to sender with '5.7.1'

except when the message is from a member of 'shops.email.allowed.dl'

I'm checking by the message tracking results as I'm not receiving the bounce back in my gmail account.

I can see the following entries:

RECEIVE SMTP

RESOLVE ROUTING

FAIL AGENT

FAIL ROUTING

in the 2 fails I can see 5.7.1 extended state message but it's not being sent to my gmailaddress ?

Any idea what the issue could be as it seems the rule knows the mail needs to be bounced back?

• Edited by Maffiow Friday, June 26, 2015 1:22 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2015 12:59 PM