Ran movecontent but nothing happened and it broke WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• We are having an issue with disk space so I created an additional drive and planned on moving the WSUS content to it.  I ran the command "wsusutil.exe movecontent g:\wsus g:\wsus\change.log" (g:\ being the new drive).  When I did so, the folders were created but none of the content was copied over and after several minutes, I received a message that read "Fatal Error: The WSUS synchronization service <WsusService> cannot be stopped."  I manually stopped the service but received the same result.  Next, I enable the services that WSUS uses but when I go into WSUS, it keeps wanting me to reset the node.  If I stop the "Update Services" service I am able to reconnect WSUS but everytime I start that service, it crashes WSUS again. My first question is how do I restore WSUS so that it is working properly as it did before I ran the movecontent command?  Second, what might I have done wrong when running the movecontent command?  Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thank you!
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>> I received a message that read "Fatal Error: The WSUS synchronization service <WsusService> cannot be stopped."

It seems that there is something wrong with your WSUS server before the movement.

Please reboot your WSUS server, then check if the WSUS server works properly.

Here is a good article about how to troubleshooting WSUS server:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708439(v=ws.10).aspx

Besides, please make sure that run the command with the privilege of the Administrator.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:34 AM
  • next time perform an export of the metadata before doing the move

if you have a backup, restore it

you might have to perform a reset

what's the situation right now, did the content actually move to the new drive? maybe the db is still pointing to the old path even though the files have been moved

Monday, July 13, 2015 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>> I received a message that read "Fatal Error: The WSUS synchronization service <WsusService> cannot be stopped."

It seems that there is something wrong with your WSUS server before the movement.

Please reboot your WSUS server, then check if the WSUS server works properly.

Here is a good article about how to troubleshooting WSUS server:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708439(v=ws.10).aspx

Besides, please make sure that run the command with the privilege of the Administrator.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:34 AM
  • next time perform an export of the metadata before doing the move

if you have a backup, restore it

you might have to perform a reset

what's the situation right now, did the content actually move to the new drive? maybe the db is still pointing to the old path even though the files have been moved

Monday, July 13, 2015 5:33 PM