none
PWA 2010 - Generic Resources - best Practice placement? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

first things first, I've modified the MS Sample Proposal to have a valid project template, with a few tasks, generic resources etc. and the like...

Ok, so I have created a new Sample Proposal, excellent works...but cannot get resource planning to give me any numbers.  A different question thread me thinks...

So I add all my generic resources to the Resource Centre and set them all as work generic.

I then add a new project and it fails with a "resource duplicated" issue.

I go to my project template and remove all my generic resources reapply it to the Sample Proposal and create a new project based on it - voila - it works. 

So my question is, as the system fails when creating a new EPT Proposal when there are duplicate resources in both the project template and the resource centre where best to put generic resources?

In the project template, ideal as nearly every project is the same type, or the Resource Centre, which seems the logical place to select Enterprise Resources from, however we have to update every project as we start it...

thanks and regards

Sean

Audiophile

• Edited by Riyadh Calling Monday, May 23, 2011 11:39 AM proposal and project were intermixed - fixed
    Monday, May 23, 2011 9:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

If you are leveraging Project Server for your enterprise resource pool, then the logical place to locate your generic resources is in the server. The problem you note above about having to change them sounds like you have created a template using locally defined generic resources. I would define the generics in Project Server, then in your template, assign the Project Server based generics onto the schedule and save the template. You should no longer get the resource duplicated error. 

Typically if you are using Project Server, then you should use the resource pool for resources, not local resources.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, May 23, 2011 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Sean,

If you are leveraging Project Server for your enterprise resource pool, then the logical place to locate your generic resources is in the server. The problem you note above about having to change them sounds like you have created a template using locally defined generic resources. I would define the generics in Project Server, then in your template, assign the Project Server based generics onto the schedule and save the template. You should no longer get the resource duplicated error. 

Typically if you are using Project Server, then you should use the resource pool for resources, not local resources.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, May 23, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Thanks now I understand - you're right - I created as local then uploaded rather than created enterprise generic, added and then uploaded...

regards

Audiophile
    Monday, May 23, 2011 12:33 PM