Problem with App-V Office 2010 Accelerator for WinXP? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Since using the Accelerator distributed by Microsoft for Office 2010 (xp) everytime I upgrade the package and readvertise it clients get the following error:

“Microsoft Office has encountered a problem with licensing and will need to close. If this problem persists, uninstall and reinstall your product.”

It can be resolved by forcing a rerun on our Office 2010 deployment toolkit for App-V installation package,  but this is not going to be a viable solution when it is distributed on a large scale to all our machines.

Any ideas?

Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:14 AM

Answers

• hi,

I am doing an active upgrade.

I have fallen back to my orginal non-accelerated package created in 4.6 non sp1 and added the additional components to it. 

End result: it seems to be working with no licensing issues on the 5 machines I currently have it advertised to.

I guess this could be to do with something I have done when using the accelerator , but I have followed the guidance Microsoft have provided and it is most unlike them to release something that doesnt work aswell as the old version.

;-)

thanks for the assistance.

Rob

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, April 15, 2011 11:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:50 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Depending on how you got about the update and what parts of it you use - it might be necessary to redeploy the kit.

As a general best practice - the licensing part of the deployment-kit should be available at all times on both the client and the sequencer - even while performing an upgrade or running an upgraded package.  
    /Znack
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Thanks for the response,

Everytime I modified the package I made sure that I installed the Deployment toolkit and the other office 2010 Pre-req's.  All the clients on our network have had the Deployment Kit distributed to them in anticipation of deploying 2010 in the near future. 

The same arguments have been passed to both client and sequencer when installing the toolkit so both have the same KMS keys available to them.

It seems to be completely illogical but yet it is occuring.

In a way I think I am a little disappointed that the Accelerator has been put out with apparently guidance, and the package I created previous to the accelerator didnt seem to have the issue.  I only used the Accelerator as I needed to Add Lync and Symantec enterprise vault to the deployment and it was easier to do it as a new package (or so I thought).

cheers

Rob

Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:44 AM
  • Hello,

I assume that you created a brand new package (since you switched from using your own package  to using the accelerator). Since we don't know exactly how you installed the deployment toolkit - I can't tell you that it would not be necessary to reinstall it. 

If you are using the integration components - its extremely likely that you would require to reinstall the components due to the new package GUID.

You mention that you are using KMS-keys, which seems odd as KMS doesn't require the specification of any keys but instead just components are used?

Did the Office-package you created on your own correspond to the same edition of Office as the one you created with the package accelerator?

As you see - you leave many questions unanswered and therefore its hard to offer you an answer what should or should not work. It seems that you simply haven't investigated what you deployed enough to fully understand the problem.  

/Znack
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Thanks again for a response,

I am probably confusing the matter by trying to summarise to much.

I followed the prescriptive guidance to sequencing MS office 2010 Pro plus exactly, when I refer to KMS keys I apologise for not using the exact syntax you would normally refer this as.  I passed the following arguments to the deployment toolkit install on both the client and sequencer:

msiexec /i OffVirt.msi PROPLUS=1

I think we are probably getting crossed wires.  The step by step issue is this.

1) Create accelerated office package with deployment tool kit and all office 2010 pre-reqs.

2) Stream it to a pc with the deployment toolkit preinstalled with same KMS argument, that had no problems with the non-accelerated package(removed). This produces the license error.

3) Using VAMT check the license status of the PC in question: it has the proplus license in an activated state.

4) Rerun our deployment toolkit install on the client from the same System Centre advert that initially installed it. Office then works correctly.

5) I notice an issue with security settings or add in that is required and run an update on the office2010 package and consequently move the version number up.

6) Following the package upgrade on system centre using config manager, the client receives the upgraded package and streams it down. The license error returns again.

7) Using VAMT check the license status of the PC in question: it has the proplus license in an activated state.

8) Rerun the advert for the deployment toolkit and the error disappears again.

I think the question about office components is possibly inconsequential - if I simply take the package and change one factor e.g.: a registry key referring to an office security setting then the error comes back.  The act of updating the package produces the error the actions undertaken in the upgrade process do not matter.

The version of office I sequenced myself was exactly the same as the one used for the accelerator.

I suppose I am just hoping someone has had a similar issue - I suspect the resolution is to abandon the Accelerator and use my own package in an upgraded state. 

Rob

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Hello,

Are you performing an active upgrade, packet branch or a new package? 
    /Znack
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:55 PM
  • hi,

I am doing an active upgrade.

I have fallen back to my orginal non-accelerated package created in 4.6 non sp1 and added the additional components to it. 

End result: it seems to be working with no licensing issues on the 5 machines I currently have it advertised to.

I guess this could be to do with something I have done when using the accelerator , but I have followed the guidance Microsoft have provided and it is most unlike them to release something that doesnt work aswell as the old version.

;-)

thanks for the assistance.

Rob

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, April 15, 2011 11:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:50 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 11:06 AM