none
Outlook 2016 remember "other email address" From: dropdown for future emails? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I get Outlook 2016 to remember an "other email address" that I manually enter into "From:" when I compose an email?

In the past (Outlook 2013) Outlook just did this, but in 2016 when I click on the From: field in a new compose window, it only comes up with the actual email accounts configured - it does not remember the custom From: that I typed into that "other email address" field in previous new mail composition windows.

Illustrative pictures below.

thanks,
    -Jay

Click From: in compose window,

What I type in this From: Other Email Address box should be remembered for the main compose From: dropdown

Thursday, January 5, 2017 6:00 PM

All replies

• Hello Jay,

By default, Outlook 2016 will remember the "Other Email Address" cache under "From" drop-down list.

I've tried using Process Monitor to capture in which registry key the "Other Email Address" cache is stored, and I found that the cache could be stored in the following registry key but I failed to find out the exact registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\profilename\

Since this registry represents for Outlook profile, I'd recommend you try creating a new Outlook profile and then reconfigure your email accounts in the new mail profile to see if this issue continues.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 6, 2017 6:36 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Except, it doesn't (automatically remember the address that I manually type in to the Other Email Address field).

On a much older thread on another forum:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_other/delete-or-remover-from-other-email-address/6f9387af-1f5b-48d0-b813-ab04226978eb?rtAction=1483692283446

I found a note from Diane Poremsky specifying a Value named "101f0483" in the (now obsolete) Key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\profle_name\.

Searching another nearly identical system (Windows 10, Office 2016) on which Outlook 2016 does remember the manually-typed-in Other Email Address, I found that Value name, with the right data in it, within:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\Outlook\2c1e4337e5413d488a2910e505db5341]

Thing is, I'm pretty sure that the Key "2c1e4337e5413d488a2910e505db5341" is not static, yeah, it's not; I added that Key to the Registry on the system where Outlook doesn't want to remember new Other Email Addresses, restarted Outlook, and it still doesn't present that.

So the question becomes, how to identify the right Outlook\Profiles\Outlook\KEYNAME into which to insert the Value 101f0483 to 'teach' Outlook 2016 about the Other Email Address?

Anyway, there has to be a more-right way - why wouldn't Outlook 2016 just remember this Other Email Address when I've typed it several times in new Compose windows?

thanks,
    -Jay

Friday, January 6, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Hm. That being said, another of the Values (001f3001) in the found-Key on the working system happens to contain "A.c.c.t.S.e.t.t.i.n.g.s.0.0.0.2"

So I searched for 001f3001 containing "A.c.c.t.S.e.t.t." and found some. One at a time I tried adding the Value 101f0483 with its Other Email Address data, starting Outlook 2016 and composing a new email.

In no case did the From: dropdown remember the new Other Email Address.

So even if this is the right track, it's still not the right detail :(

I go back to, why woudln't Outlook "just remember" the new Other Email Address, like it did on my previous Outlook 2013 installation, and it does on my other Windows 10 Outlook 2016 computer, but not on this one?

thanks,
    Jay

Friday, January 6, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Steve, any further updates on this?

thank you.

Friday, January 13, 2017 7:17 AM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm experiencing the same issues with a new Office 365 migration. Some users can add other email addresses in the from field and they remain once added and others can't.

One thing I've noticed in the instances where it works, the dialogue box you get to enter the from email address in, doesn't have the 'send using' drop down menu. It is present in your image, therefore it doesn't remember the email address you type in or select from the GAL.

Cheers, Bish

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Has anybody found a solution to this problem yet?
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 5:15 PM
  • Looking for the same answer??
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:36 PM
  • Hey Steve, please, some further motion on this?

My brand new Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit v1709 system with Office 365 Outlook 2016 is doing this same annoying thing - won't remember the Other Email Address that I've entered.

And as you see from responses to my original thread below, I'm not the only one!

thank you,

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:25 AM
  • I am finding this as well. Two machines with the same version of MS Office 2016 and Office 365 Exchange E2.

Laptop1 works, Laptop2 does not.

Laptop1 does not have the "Send using" dropdown box. (As noted by Bish above)

The only thing different on these two machines is Laptop2 has more than one MS Exchange account/mailbox configured. The additional mailboxes show up in the cache but anything manually typed in or selected from the global list is not added to the account.

Any assistance from MS would be great!

Monday, May 7, 2018 5:31 AM
  • Hi Martin7272 ,

Taking a cue from what you wrote, that the host on which only one Exchange account is configured is able to remember new custom From: addresses, I tried two tests:

1. I removed from an existing multi-Exchange profile all but the original Exchange account, and tried to get Outlook 2016 to remember a new custom From: address.

This did not work.

2. I created a new Outlook 2016 profile, added just a first Exchange account, and added one new custom From: address. This works.

Then I added more Exchange and other accounts, and I still can add new custom From: addresses.

So the BUG (@Microsoft, this is a BUG) seems to be that the function in Outlook 2016 of being able to remember new custom From: addresses that the user enters while composing email messages gets BROKEN once more than one mailbox is configured in an Outlook profile.

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

-Jay

I am finding this as well. Two machines with the same version of MS Office 2016 and Office 365 Exchange E2.

Laptop1 works, Laptop2 does not.

Laptop1 does not have the "Send using" dropdown box. (As noted by Bish above)

The only thing different on these two machines is Laptop2 has more than one MS Exchange account/mailbox configured. The additional mailboxes show up in the cache but anything manually typed in or selected from the global list is not added to the account.

Any assistance from MS would be great!

Monday, May 7, 2018 6:48 AM
  • Hi Jay,

Can I clarify with you that you can still add custom from addresses _after_ adding additional exchange accounts if you follow these steps.

1) Create new profile.

2) Add first exchange account.

3) Add at least one custom from address.

4) Add additional exchange accounts.

5) New custom addresses still work at this point?
    Monday, May 7, 2018 10:28 PM
  • This is infuriating.

No, it's doesn't continue to work. It did work, once, yesterday. But, today, I again can no longer get Outlook 2016 to remember further custom-entered From: addresses.

WHAT IS _WRONG_ WITH MICROSFT?!

Hi Jay,

Can I clarify with you that you can still add custom from addresses _after_ adding additional exchange accounts if you follow these steps.

1) Create new profile.

2) Add first exchange account.

3) Add at least one custom from address.

4) Add additional exchange accounts.

5) New custom addresses still work at this point?

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 6:49 AM
  • Team,

Are there any answers to this?  No activity here for some time and I have numerous users having the same problem.  Thank you in advance,

Jason

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:15 PM
  • I was never able to get this to work. I ended up having to create a new mailbox/additional licence. I only had one user that needed this functionality so it wasn't a terrible solution for me.

Tim

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 10:14 PM
  • I have 2 Windows7 64-bit machines with Office365 (outlook 2016). I have configured the same user with the same profile. On 1 machine its working, on the other it is not working.

On the working machine, as said earlier, I can confirm it is stored in the value "101f0483" under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\Outlook\3dde246cf45c3a42a32c538e194f34be

I did reproduce this by adding and removing emails in this from field.

Sil

Monday, January 7, 2019 8:48 PM
  • The challenge is figuring out the last element in the Key path.

In your example, after the constant part:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\

.. you have the predictable profile name part ("Outlook", in your case), and then

.. the Unpredictable part, in your case "3dde246cf45c3a42a32c538e194f34be"

If someone (Microsoft! I'm talking at you!) could tell us how to calculate that part of the Key path, we could probably figure out the rest (how to structure the Value 101f0483).

Anyone know how to predict/ calculate that mystery element in the Key path?

thanks.

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 1:57 PM
  • Today i figured out when Outlook 2016 will remember "other email address" and when not.

When i have 1 exchange(o365) account configured in the Outlook profile, it will remember other email addresses. But when i configure a second exchange account (other tentant) in the same profile, it wil not remember an other email address.

Perhaps this is not the case in your situantion, but looking at Jay Libove's pictures, he has configured more than1 exchange accounts.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:51 AM
  • To my recollection, Sil Grouwstra is correct. Outlook (2016) will only remember a new "other" email address if no more than one single Exchange address is configured at the time.

Yet another inexplicable, unanswered *** in the face by Microsoft.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:22 PM
  • Has there ever been a solution for this? I am experiencing this on a new install
    Saturday, April 20, 2019 9:22 PM
  • The solution to this problem is to change the primary mailbox.  We were able to get the email addresses to save after making this change.

Friday, May 17, 2019 9:22 PM
  • @aaliciae

This worked for us.....

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:45 PM
  • Okay, tried this, and worked for us also. But i guess this only works for the none primary exchange account.
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:57 PM
  • The solution to this problem is to change the primary mailbox.  We were able to get the email addresses to save after making this change.

Hi aalicie, could you clarify of post a screenshot please, What do you mean to "change the primary mailbox"?

Is this (Outlook 2016) File -> Account Settings -> Account Settings: "Set as default"?

I assume that for most people changing the default Send-As mailbox is not an acceptable option, unless what you found to work is just temporarily changing that, and then what - just immediately changing it back? .. while it is temporarily changed, compose an email and specify a new custom From:, and then change it back?

thanks in advance for clarifying on how you solved this long-standing, frustrating issue.

-Jay

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 6:24 AM

• Is this (Outlook 2016) File -> Account Settings -> Account Settings: "Set as default"?

Changing this temporarily worked for me.

I changed default accounts, typed the email address I wanted to send from into the Other Email Addresses box, sent a test email, change default accounts back and the email address is now in my From dropdown, even after Outlook and PC restart. An annoying but successful workaround!

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:21 AM