none
dpm 2012: Problem doing hyper-v incremental of Server 2012 file server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM 2012 SP1 who is sett up to taking Child Partition Snashot of hyper-v guest.

This is working fine on the most of my guests.

I'm experiencing problem taking backup of one of my servers. This guest is an Server 2012 File server. Every night when the job goes it is taking a full backup and not a incremental as it should. When the job is done the backup amount is just the differense since last recoverypoint.

The problem is the time it takes and also the amount of data it is transfering every night. (about 1.7TB every night) The change is only 20-40 GB from recoverypoint to recoverypoint.

Agent version on hyper-v: 4.1.3333.0
    Log:
    Type:    Recovery point
    End time:    06.03.2013 04:46:09
    Start time:    06.03.2013 00:00:16
    Time elapsed:    04:45:52
    Data transferred:    1 822 239,75 MB
    Cluster node    -
    Recovery Point Type    Express Full
    Source details:    \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\"Servername" - FileServer
    Protection group:    Fileserver -01

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

At least one customer has confirmed that adding the below registry key and value inside the Windows 2012 guest resolved the behavior.  See if it helps you.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
    REG_DWORD ScopeSnapshots 0x0

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:27 AM
  • Hi,

I got exactly the same problem (with a normal local WSB). Additional to the 2012 fileserver other 2008 (not R2) servers are also affected by this behaviour. All VHDXs are placed on one common iSCSI volume attached to the 2012 Hyper-V Did anybody figured out what the reason is? Has anybody tested the registry key mentioned above 'til today?

Cheers Greg

Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:42 PM
  • I had to rollback to 2008R2 to get it up and working again. Did not test the registry key sins I wasn't able to make a replica creation.

Back in 2008R2 everything is working fine.

\ Torstein

Friday, March 22, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Torstein,

This does not compute, your original post stated that full data was replicated for each RP.  Now you state you could not get good replica.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 22, 2013 1:54 PM
  • That is correct. But we got an other problem. When the DPM reached the limit for 14 recoverypoints that we set at the same time we edited the registry. It just stopped working.
    Following errormessage:
    The protection agent on XXXXX.XXXXX.loc was temporarily unable to respond because it was in an unexpected state. (ID 60 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909B0)

I tried to set it up on another DPM server but it didn't manage to make a replica there. Because it was a long time sins we got a working backup we had to rollback to 2008R2 on the fileserver.

Sorry about the misleading information.
    Friday, March 22, 2013 2:04 PM