Missing graphics when printing and saving PDF from Word documents RRS feed

• Question

• I do often have problems when printing Word 2010 documents containing different graphics or saving PDFs from Word documents containing different graphics, as some of the graphics are missing on print or PDF generation.

If I e.g. copies a sequence diagram from inside Visual Studio 2010 into a blank Word 2010 document and then saves it as PDF, I just get a blank PDF document. Or actually I get a Word document with a really really small tiny graphic element that almost can't be seen.

Does anybody know why this is happening?

Saturday, November 6, 2010 10:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

With fonts and vector graphics, there is no resolution, per se, since the objects are reconstructed via the essentially same mathematical formulae with which they were created.

Bitmaps (eg jpg, png images) are another matter. I have just done some testing and it the data within the PDF suggests the size of the original graphic that was inserted into the Word document comes through. Presumably that is used for scaling purposes. However, a *close* visual examination of a jpg image that I'd embedded reveals that Word's jpg compression has resulted in more compression artifacts being apparent than were evident in the original image.

Monday, November 8, 2010 3:36 AM
  • Hi

Thank you for your answer.

Sorry, I do not understand your answer. How do I get Word to print correctly and to save PDF files correctly?

Do I need to provide an example of a document which is not working correctly when printing and saving?

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:58 AM

• Thank you for your suggestions - I will look into the programs.

But I expected Word to be able to print and PDF all the contained objects inside the Word document. Isn't it possible?

• Edited by David Wolters Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:59 PM removed 3rd party links
    Friday, November 12, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Hi - I had the same problem. Found that you need to tick "Print drawings created in Word” (Under Word Options, Display)

• Proposed as answer by Henrik Juul Friday, December 23, 2011 9:32 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Same issue, all uml diagrams copy/pasted from Visual Studio 2010 into Word 2010 become very tiny when saved as pdf or xps. The "print drawings created in words" option suggested in this thread doesn't change anything.

I installed pdf creator (http://www.pdfforge.org/), and used their "print to pdf" feature, works fine.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Henrik

Thank you. This has been annoying me for weeks. Simple and elegant solution.

RickV

Saturday, November 26, 2016 12:25 PM