none
Backup on Tape working on wrong DATE RRS feed

• Question

• I just noticed a problem that I did not before. I think it had to appear for the upgrade of dpm 2010 to dpm 2012, because before it worked correctly, except addition of PS in the PG nothing has changed on the PG.

I made a backup tape every 3 months (15th of month : January, April, July, October) with a retention of 25 months (and run only backup for bigger retention is active).

But I found that recently (in the upgrade dpm 2012?) He does every month. This course will explode the number of tape required ...

Does anyone else have this problem?
    And especially if someone has an idea how to fix this problem.
    And if it is possible to recovers bands used the wrong month (eg 15 November 15 December)

Monday, December 17, 2012 11:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Edited by Eric_N Monday, December 17, 2012 12:18 PM add some pics
    Monday, December 17, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Hi,

There is that know issue where scheduled backup jobs that are monthly or longer can run on the wrong scheule. This is still true in DPM 2012 including SP1.

The workaround is simple, Please apply this fix and monitor.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/09/24/support-tip-scheduled-backup-to-tape-runs-on-a-wrong-date-on-dpm-2007-2010-and-2012.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 17, 2012 7:44 PM
  • hi,

i'am not sure that the workaround are working for me ... or i don't understand the job activity

After the work around are running i see that the next schedule date are 15/03/2013 but normaly it's 15/01/2013.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

There is a power shell script to show you the next scheduled time for each recovery goal.  Get the script from this post and run it.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/4fafbcb0-ac2c-4867-8434-31f1f5e532e0

If the dates are not what you expect, correct it by going throught the PG wizard and hit the MODIFY button, then wait about 20 minutes to run the script and see if the schedules are correted.  Once they are corrected, all future jobs should run on the correct schedule.   

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Eric_N Monday, January 28, 2013 11:13 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:24 PM
  • thanks for you time to help me.

i put the information of the script, Row 5 have the next schedule at 03/15/2013

I go try to modify the PG and run the script again

Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:00 AM
  • ok now it's good

thanks

i have 1 more question : is there any possibility to find the affected tape by this problem before we fix it? And is there any possibility to reuse it ?

Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:50 AM
  • Hi,

You can always run the forcefree-tape.ps1 to expire all recovery points on a tape and mark it free.  You can look at tape details to see when RP's will expire.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:08 PM
  • any tips to help me to code this in powershell ?

i have write this but after i dont see more, i'm lost ...

Import-Module DataProtectionManager
    $DPMServerName="dpm"
    if (!(Connect-DPMServer $DPMServerName)) 
    { 
        Write-Error "Failed to connect To DPM server $DPMServerName" 
        exit 1 
    } 
    $libraryList = Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName $DPMServerName 
    $TapesList = Get-Tape -DPMLibrary $libraryList | Sort-Object -Property location #Sort not good working
    $cpt=0
    foreach ($Tape in $TapesList) #inside each tape of the tape list
    {
    	 $RP = GET-RECOVERYPOINT -tape $tape
    	 Foreach ($point in $RP) # Now give me the specifics on each Recovery Point
    	 { 
    		  $TestExpireDate=$point.RecoverySourceLocations #try to have the expiration date
    		  if(){ #expiration date >  14/12/2014. last good recovery point for 25 month are 15/10/2012
    		  # erase the tape
    		  }
    	 }
    }
    Write-Host "nombre de tape a concernee" $cpt
    Disconnect-DPMServer

Friday, December 21, 2012 10:10 AM
  • HI,

I'm not a good powershell resource, please post this question in the powershell forum.  Our resident powershell guru is OOF but if it doesn't get answered I can have him help you when he gets back.

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:11 PM
  • thanks for all you answer and your help

Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eric_N Monday, January 28, 2013 11:13 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 11:12 AM