none
Best Practices in reporting tasks work performed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'd like to know what is the best way to report actual work when updating task status.

Lets take an example task, set as duration fixed, work units=50%, work=28h.

Then I'd like to report that I worked 40h in the proposed dates but it just wont let me. It keeps changing the finish date when it should adjust the working unit percentage.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

Monday, October 26, 2015 6:03 PM

All replies

• Ok, it's a 7 day duration with a resource assigned at 50%, so work = 28 hours. This is before any actuals. You want to change the work by inputting the actual work, without the duration changing.

So, in task information, advanced, you want the task set to task type = fixed duration, and effort driven is either on or off. Then type in the actual work for the task as you have done. The duration will not change and the work goes from 4 hours per day to 5.72 hours per day (this is more obvious in the task usage view), and the result is the same whether effort driven is on or off (try both).

In neither case (effort driven is on or off) does the resource assignment change, and remains at 50%. I can see why you might think that the resource assignment % should change, but it doesn't.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:11 AM
  • Another alternative is to track the Actual Work in the Task Usage view.  You can enter the actual work on a daily or weekly view. 
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 2:21 PM
  • Just a quick comment, Trevor.  The Peak units for the resource did change (add Peak to the Task Usage view).  The assignment units shown in the Task Form or other task view will show the original assignment units, not the "true" units shown in Peak.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 2:22 PM