none
upgrade win 10 pro 1703 to 1709 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a certain imaging proces for years now but since windows 10 is come out with the 2 updates pro year it makes it harder to upgrade everytime. I am now looking for a good method to upgrade windows 10 to version 1709.

I cannot update my source image because updates do not run in audithing mode. There are workarounds mentioned but these are trial and error and this is not the defnitive solution for me to do.

One solution is to twice a year create a new image on a reference VM but this is time consuming bacause every program installed must be installed again.

I am looking if it is possible to do the upgrade from win 10 to 1709 automatically within MDT with a TS or something. Off cource i can do a complete deployment within MDT but this is not what i mean. Only want to do a upgrade so i only need upgrade files and the make a TS in MDT to upgrade automatically.

Deploy a (customized) image to a client the right after deployment automatically deploy the 1709 version?

freddie

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 1:52 PM

All replies

• As for building your reference image - Are you not able to automate the installations of your programs? Are there not .msi installers or switches you can use? Because if you can automate it then all you have to do is kick off the task sequence right before you leave work and when you come back it should all be done or at least mostly done.

There is a task sequence for upgrading, but you have to have the full 1709 (or latest) media, not a custom image to use that.

Your other option is to run your own WSUS and approve the upgrade.

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:44 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

I am building the reference images different. Our programs are not msi files it are complicated things to install with all kind of settings etc. If i install certain programs during deploy all settings must be made afterwards and i cannot install every program.

This is goiing to change but the next year maybe 2 i must do it on the manner:

install windows on a vm - install programs - do settings all in audit mode. Then sysprep and capture with MDT. Import the image in mdt, make a TS - and the image is ready to deploy.

But now every time i deploy that images windows is asking to install 1709 and that takes 1 hour to complete...

freddie

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 5:47 AM
  • Curious, but why would you put it in audit mode if you're using MDT?

If you're going to use a VM and MDT, then build your reference image using a single task sequence. Just add a suspend task at the point in which you've already run all your automated installs. When the task sequence is suspended, you then make your manual changes, shut down the VM and create a Checkpoint. Boot the system back up and resume the sequence so it captures. Then in the future you can restore the checkpoint and run Windows update to let it install updates, shut it down and make a new checkpoint. Boot back up and resume the task sequence.

If don't already have a deployment share exclusively for building reference images, you should make one that way you can configure the settings for doing that. 

Have you considered using Autoit to try to automate your installations? Sometimes it takes a lot of work to figure out how to automate your work, but in the end it'll save you time and frustration. 

Daniel Vega

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 2:01 PM