Does MAP overwrite data information gathered from previous scans? RRS feed

• Question

• What I need to know is does it overwrite the database information gathered from each machine or server if the amount of memory being used has changed from the previous scan?  And does it remove a machine that was online on one scan and offline on the second scan?
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:41 PM

All replies

• From the FAQ:

If you repeatedly run inventory into the same database, the results will be additive:

• Any machines already successfully inventoried into the current database will not be re-inventoried.
    • Any machines not successfully inventoried previously (such as access denied or timed out.) will be re-attempted for inventory.
    • Any new machines discovered (such as machines that were not previously in Active Directory but that are now there, or new machines imported via flat file) will be inventoried.

After you run several of these inventory cycles, the report(s) generated at the end will be an aggregate of all data. An easy way to take advantage of this capability is to:

• Put MAP on a laptop and connect the laptop to the various disconnected subnets in your network, rerunning MAP inventory on each segment, or
    • Put MAP in a Virtual Machine (VM) and likewise move the VM around.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Eric,

Do you know if it takes into consideration of things like if the amount of memory changes, will it update that?  On VMware will it adjust the amount of memory allocated for the VM machine?  That is probably what I should have asked on the first question.  We are trying to determine what we currently have running on a broad scale and if we were to change anything like those settings for optimazation would it pick up on that. 
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:08 PM
  • It will not determine if there has been a change in the memory setting of your machine (including VMs) and re-inventory this machine.  I would suggest creating a new database after you have made changes to your configuration and rerun your report, then you can compare this new report to your previous reports – this will definitely show you what you have on a broad scale before and after the changes you made.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Eric

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Reading the info here I think I've answered my own question, but I'd like to verify.

What if the opposite occurs?  What if MAP runs a inventory on a set of computers and then we later "remove" that computer from the domain.  (As in, that computer will never come back.)  If we run MAP again, will that computer still show up in the reports even though it no longer exists?

Keith
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Basically the way it works is that once the machine has been successfully inventoried and the data for it is in the database that machine will not be inventoried again, unless you use a different database that does not contain data for that machine.  It will only re-inventory a machine if the first attempt to inventory failed to connect (or similar error).

You will need to start a fresh database and run an inventory for you to see a report that does NOT contain the machine that has been “removed”.

-Eric

Monday, October 19, 2009 9:28 PM