none
Further TN3270 work RRS feed

• Question

• Well I finally got around to adding more LU's to VTAM and defining LUA's , Creating a Pool called TN3270 and assigned the new LU's to it

The TN3270 service is started on the HIS server BIMSNA-A.

On my new laptop I remove any reference to MS HIS Server and created an IBM PComm TN3270 session set the IP address and Pool Name, when I connected it just about straight away disconnected.

On another HIS Server that my desktop uses (full blown IBM PComm client) I found that I had created the pool name as a User, should I do the same on BIMSNA-A. 

Allan

Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:18 AM

Answers

• Take a look in the TN3270 Properties in SNA Manager.

- Right-click TN3270 and then click Properties

- Click the Security tab.

- What port do you have defined and what is the Security setting?

For example, the default is port 23 and Security = Unsecured.

There was a problem in HIS 2004 that could cause the error message that you are describing. However, it only occurred if you made a change to the TN3270 configuration while the TN3270 service was active. This problem is described in the following article:

888611 TN3270 clients cannot connect to the TN3270 Server after a configuration change is made to the TN3270 Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888611/EN-US

The fix for this particular problem was included in HIS 2004 Service Pack 1.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:26 PM

All replies

• The name of the pool shouldn't matter. A couple of things to verify... In HIS server, did you add the new LUA's to the TN3270 server and/or, after adding them to the Pool (it was a LUA pool, right?) did you add the pool to the TN3270 server? The LUA's don't have to be in a pool, but they do have to be assigned to TN3270 whether in a pool or not.

For a quick and easy test, you can use the Win3270 app that's part of HIS to verify connection on the HIS server. If that works, you should be able to connect from remote clients. Unless of course, the firewall has not been opened up for the TN3270 port. Actually, Win3270 won't connect either in that case.

You might also want to check the application event log on the HIS server to see if there are any error messages there regarding TN3270.

Rex

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:21 AM
  • Yes the LUA's are added to the TN3270 server

The event log is showing , A connection has been rejected either due to a bad configuration or failing to authenticate a client certificate. Check the certificate is valid and port security is correctly configured

Allan

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Hi Allan, 

Could you please check the event log and post the event entry here showing the error ?

Have you already tried to use the TN3270 Emulator directly on the HIS Server ?

Which version of HIS are you using ?

Are you using a secure connection between TN3270 ?

Best Regards,

Steve Melan - BCEE My Blog : http://stevemelan.wordpress.com

Friday, March 1, 2013 10:02 PM
  • Having a nightmare in getting the event log copied so that I can paste

The general gist is "No security record for Port 23"

Yes I have tried the MS TN3270 emulator , same result

Using HIS 2004

I have not turned on secure connection , but, I may be wrong

Allan

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:45 AM
  • Take a look in the TN3270 Properties in SNA Manager.

- Right-click TN3270 and then click Properties

- Click the Security tab.

- What port do you have defined and what is the Security setting?

For example, the default is port 23 and Security = Unsecured.

There was a problem in HIS 2004 that could cause the error message that you are describing. However, it only occurred if you made a change to the TN3270 configuration while the TN3270 service was active. This problem is described in the following article:

888611 TN3270 clients cannot connect to the TN3270 Server after a configuration change is made to the TN3270 Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888611/EN-US

The fix for this particular problem was included in HIS 2004 Service Pack 1.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:26 PM