none
Fullfill Demand RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Server 2010 SP1 June 2012 CU

We are trying to put into place a process that will fulfill demand. We want to be able to have the task assignments assigned to a Generic Resource. (Demand) and send that Demand to the Resource Managers to fulfill the demand with named resources of their team.

I was going to try to use the team functionality but that is not giving us what we want.

I have Teams identified in a lookup table, the Team field is pointing to the lookup table.  We have all of the resources in the appropriate team, Marked a single person as the Lead by marking Team Assignment Pool in Manage Users for the Resource Managers user account.

This is what I discovered taking that approach:

*         The named team lead has to be assigned to a task in the project schedule to see the other assignments that have been assigned to the team.

*         There is a one to one relationship.  Can only re-assign tasks to the team resources one at a time. If there are 80 hours assigned to a team, the 80 hours can be re-assigned to ONE resource

*         The re-assignment goes to the Project Manager/Status Manager for approval (This is not a big deal)

*         Have to open the schedule and publish it before the re-assigned task goes to the new resource - the third bullet item has to be done before this is done (This is not a big deal)

*         Did not have the ability to re-assign the task to a resource of the resource managers choice that is in the resource managers team.  The only options were the resources that are added to the project resource pool on the schedule.

*         Was able to re-assign the task to any member that is in the Project Resource Pool

With the above findings This approach is not giving us what we want. I am trying to copy the functionality that the HP PPM tool has. Demand is requested by team, that request goes to the Team Leads, the Team Leads assign the tasks to their team members, those assignments go back to the Project Manager, the Project Manager inputs the assignments based on what the team lead provided.

I thought about writing a workflow to accomplish this but wanted to see if there are any other ideas or thoughts to meet this requirement I have been given before I start writing a workflow.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:38 AM

Answers

• This sounds more like an application than a workflow flow.  Building an application that connects to Project Server using PSI calls would be the way I would go.  There is a lot of logic that is required and workflow may not be well suite for this logic.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

• Marked as answer by LyndaF Friday, February 22, 2013 9:04 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:30 AM