none
Customizing Task Reports RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am somewhat new to MS Project 2013 (I learned on 2010) and I am trying to develop my skills with the reporting functions.  For one of the projects that I lead, I want to develop a Task Dashboard that contains pertinent information and KPIs for the project.  I am almost done with the dashboard, but the last piece that I am struggling with is developing a custom chart.

Essentially, I want to build a chart that shows the % Complete status of all tasks.  Therefore, the Y axis would be a range (say 0 -200 or whatever encompasses your total task count) and the X axis would have bars that show the number of tasks in each % Complete category (0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%).  Any help or suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

0%     25%     50%     75%     100%

• Edited by nbrittain28 Thursday, January 8, 2015 3:05 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 2:59 PM

All replies

• nbrittain28 --

After experimenting with creating a custom group to group on the % Complete value, I would encourage you to DROP this idea for your chart.  In a project with less than 100 tasks, I had to create a HUGE chart to see all of the tasks groups by their % Complete value.  So, I would strongly recommend you drop the grouping requirement.

Insert a new Clustered Column chart in your report.  In the Field List sidepane, do the following:

1. Deselect the Work, Actual Work and Remaining Work checkboxes.
    2. Expand the Number field section and select the % Complete checkbox instead.
    3. Click the Filter pick list and select the All Tasks item.
    4. Click the Outline Level pick list and select the All Subtasks item.

Keep in mind that if you have 200 tasks in the project, you will need to widen the chart considerably!  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:52 PM
  • Dale,

Thank you for your help.  I actually started down the path that you outlined and it was not really what I was looking for.  It ends up just showing each task on the X axis and then the % complete.  My goal was to limit the number of data points and the message was intended to show how many tasks had not started (0%), how many tasks were in progress (25%, 50%, and 75%) and how many tasks were complete (100%).

For now, until I can figure out a better solution, I will go with the method you outlined, but the chart is very large and I believe the volume of data points dilutes the overall message.

Thank you for your feedback!

EDIT:

I should have clarified as well (because after re-reading I can see the confusion) that the only percent completes used for this project are 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.  We only progress work in increments of 25%, so the chart would only have 5 columns max.

Essentially, my problem would be solved if I could select Tasks (or # of tasks) as a field for a Cluster Chart and then group by %Complete.  I cannot find any field options that would result in showing number of tasks (then group by whatever I want).

• Edited by nbrittain28 Thursday, January 8, 2015 10:38 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 10:30 PM
  • This is what I would do.

I would create a custom group, that groups by % Complete. You should end up with only 5 groups but if you get more no problem.

What you don't have at this point is a count but that's easy. Just use a spare custom number field, insert it into the entry table as a column, and put 1 in the formula, and for the groups and summary option choose SUM. Now you get a count for each group.

If you want a histogram or some other kind of graph just copy the data and paste in EXCEL etc etc.

Too easy.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 11:11 PM