Set Always use custom logon background to Enabled RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if its even possible to accomplish this with a VB script for stand alone Windows 7 computers? 

KB2178338

You can no longer use a custom logon background after you change a theme in Windows 7

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1.     Click Start, type gpedit.msc in the Search programs and files field, and then press ENTER.

2.     In the Local Group Policy Editor, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, and then click Logon.

3.     Double-click Always use custom logon background.

4.     Select Enable, and then click OK.

Thanks.

Friday, August 19, 2011 1:33 PM

Answers

• That policy modifies the following registry key:

Dim oShell : Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\UseOEMBackground", 1, "REG_DWORD"

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, September 19, 2011 2:21 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:13 PM

All replies

• That policy modifies the following registry key:

Dim oShell : Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\UseOEMBackground", 1, "REG_DWORD"

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, September 19, 2011 2:21 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Yes it does.  But if this is not set to enabled in the GP editor, Windows will revert the value back to 0 when a user changes their theme.  Then the log on background changes back to the blue Windows 7 default.  This is the issue the MS KB article addresses, but I was wondering if this can be accomplished using a VB script or something. 
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Setting this registry key is the same thing as changing the setting in gpedit.

I ran this script, then changed my theme 3 times and the background always stayed on the custom one that I set.

If this is a standalone computer, the solution above will work fine. However, if it's on a domain that applies a contrary policy, then there's not much you can do to keep the setting from changing back periodically whenever group policy refreshes.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:32 PM