"Problem Getting Input Info" Error Message When You Try to Run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Over the last few days I have been having problems launching 3D applications(video games, mostly) on my computer.

With that, I noticed that when I try to run DXDIAG I get the following error message:

Error: Problem getting input info, result code = 0x80004005 (Generic Failure)
    and then under the input tab, there are not devices listed in DirectInput Devices(although my mouse and keyboard work fine) + I can't get "Game Controllers" under the control panel to open. clicking it just... doesn't do anything.
    I have tried EVERYTHING. I updated via windows-update, I updated chipset drivers, I unplugged all input devices, I re-installed Directx - nothing.
    So I pulled up the ultimate WMD - reformat and install of XP SP 3. Which I did - twice.
    and of course - everything is fine for a day or two but then the games will stop runing, and the error message will appear once more and I'm at my nerves end.
    Could this be some sort of Hardware failiure? It seems impossible that this is a software error as It has happened too many times already on completetly fresh installations of XP SP 3...
    The KnowladgeBase has no useful info for me, the only entry listing my error is:
    Which is exactly the same except for the causes. I don't have a Gateway computer and I have never heard of LANdesk.
    My specs are as follows:
    Intel Core2Duo E4500
    Gigabyte G31MX-S2
    2GB RAM
    Radeon HD 5750
    Windows XP SP 3
    Please save me! :(
    Monday, November 29, 2010 7:05 PM

Answers

• After many hours of testing - I found out that the problem lies with the service "windows remote registery service".

Disabling it solves the problem - I guess it somehow "clashes" with my hardware or something - seeing as how 3 installations of XP SP 3 suffered from it...

It is solved.

• Marked as answer by ariel-isr Friday, December 3, 2010 6:35 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:10 AM