Windows 7 Preview Pane Focus RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with the Windows 7 Preview Pane : I view a folder within Windows Explorer with Preview Pane on. In the central pane of WE I use the arrow keys to highlight each particular file I want to preview in the Preview Pane. The focus stays in the central pane except that if I use the arrow keys to highlight a Microsoft Word document, focus moves away from the central pane and to the contents of the Preview Pane - the Word document. The result of Preview Pane 'stealing focus' is that the arrow keys start scrolling the preview of the Word doc.

This only happens with Word. I am using Office 2010.

This is the case even with a completely clean Win 7 build running only Word 2010. It is the case for both Word 2010 format and earlier Word format docs.

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have tested the issue with Office 2010. When you open the Previous Version Tab, the focus should be on the first history. However, when you click any blank space in the central pane, the focus will stay in the central pane.

I suggest contacting Office Forum to confirm if it is an issue or a by designed feature.

TechNet Office Forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/word/threads

Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Niki unless I have misunderstood this is a different issue from mine. Regards, Mike
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Your issue is when you highlighted the Previous Word document, the arrow keys started scrolling.

Can you restore the document successfully? I suspect it is Word application related. Therefore, I suggest contacting Office Forum to confirm the issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Hi Niki

I'm think you have misunderstood. I have not reported a problem with 'Previous Word document"(s), but with the Preview Pane in Win 7 Windows Explorer - see first post. Therefore your question about Restoring is not relevant, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Mike

Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Hi Mike,

The phenomenon you said is designed for Office 2010. The focus will move to the preview pane to show the contents of the word.  

I have the same phenomenon with you.

Regards,

Niki

Friday, February 18, 2011 2:29 AM
  • This is just silly. Why have a different action for different file types. If I want to view more of a highlighted file then I will select it. Ideally this would be a single tab move.

I thought using SHIFT + TAB to reverse tab back to the menu may be an alright work around, but annoyingly the tab order goes to the library menu header first, so must do this twice.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:32 AM
  • This is just silly. Why have a different action for different file types. If I want to view more of a highlighted file then I will select it. Ideally this would be a single tab move.

Agreed... I thought this would be some problem only in my pc but apparently not... Is there anyway prevent this from happening?

Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Is there any way we can escalate this with Microsoft? I logged it as a bug back in February but have heard nothing since...........
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

I notice the issue only occurs on Word files. It should be related to Word 2010 previewer. You can leave suggestion on the following site.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suggestions.aspx

Meanwhile, I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Office Product Team and Development Team will take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

Best Regards,

Niki

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:46 AM
  • This happens in WINDOWS EXPLORER, and not just with Word 2010 files.  I use Wilcom's Embroidery Studio e2.  Arrowing down within Windows Explorer's central (middle) pane: when encountering an EMB file that gets the highlight it comes to a dead stop.  Up or Down arrows don't move at that point.  So, this is a problem.

However, when an EMB file is encountered within Office 2010 products where I can open 'all files', the focus actually moves to the preview pane and scrolls down the emb file!

FYI:  I did not notice this with .emb files previous to the last Win 7 pro critical update installed on March 10, 2013.  Nor have I changed any settings within my programs - and have not updated anything else recently.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 11:06 PM