none
Creating recovery disc

Question

• Hi, i could not  run my PC becouse of Windows 10 error
    could'nt restore or repair system so only way was to do new instalation top of old one using different Windows 8.1

When i start installation and chose partition i saw that i have partition named recovery (recovery for old windows 10)

Now i using Windows 8.1 top of old no working Windows 10 - and i cant see any more recovery partition for win 10 and when i try to create recovery USB disc i can't chose to do it from recovery partition
    I just want to back to my previous Windows 10 instalation using recovery partition but i have not recovery USB disc
    Question is Can i create recovery USB disc somehow using Windows 8.1  from recovery partition (with i cant see any more) for Windows 10?

Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:14 PM

Answers

• You cannot recover Windows 10 by creating recovery media of Windows 8.1.

If you cannot find recovery partition [via Disk Management] then I suspect it got accidentally deleted or damaged.

You can download Windows 10 ISO create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) that you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation or reinstall Windows 10.

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:50 PM
  • Hi Pawel, 

I agree with S.Sengupta, we cannot repair Windows 10 by Windows 8 recovery media. 

In addition, if you have Windows 8.1 preinstalled as OEM version, you can ask Recovery disc from Manufacturer to do the factory reset. 

Also, to repair current Windows 10, create Windows 10 media as S.Sengupta suggested, we can try Reset option in Recovery environment or do the Inplace upgrade repair without losing things: 

Windows 10: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade  
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 7:46 AM

All replies

• You cannot recover Windows 10 by creating recovery media of Windows 8.1.

If you cannot find recovery partition [via Disk Management] then I suspect it got accidentally deleted or damaged.

You can download Windows 10 ISO create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) that you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation or reinstall Windows 10.

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:50 PM
  • Hi Pawel, 

I agree with S.Sengupta, we cannot repair Windows 10 by Windows 8 recovery media. 

In addition, if you have Windows 8.1 preinstalled as OEM version, you can ask Recovery disc from Manufacturer to do the factory reset. 

Also, to repair current Windows 10, create Windows 10 media as S.Sengupta suggested, we can try Reset option in Recovery environment or do the Inplace upgrade repair without losing things: 

Windows 10: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade  
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 7:46 AM
  • Thanks to both of you. 
    ISO of Win 10 will do the job, 
    i already save data on another disc so i can do full reinstall.

Big up for your quick reply

Pawel Brzezinski

Friday, March 10, 2017 6:53 PM