No Updates for Forefront Client Security from Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• My computer stopped receiving definition updates for Forefront Client Security as of 8/2/09 and when I checked today, it was 12 updates behind. I am running Windows 7 RC on a laptop.

Nothing has changed since 8/2 as far as the machines configuration and Windows Update appears to be running normally as I have received other updates for various Microsoft applications. I was able to manually update the definitions from the Forefront site but am hooping to have this done automatically as it has been prior to 8/2.

Any insights or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael

Thursday, August 6, 2009 9:47 PM

Answers

• It appears it pulled the latest definitions on its own last night when I was away from the computer.

Version 1.63.1316.0 created on 8/11/2009 at 7:46pm

• Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:03 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

According to your description, I understand that the problem you are experiencing is FCS clients could not get Definition update. if anything misunderstand, please let me know.

Based on my experience, this issue may caused by the following two reasons:

1. Some clients had no WSUS policy, so they could not find WSUS server to get the new FCS Definition updates.

2. The FCS update was not approved on WSUS. Some clients had an older version of FCS client.

To resolve this issue. please perform the following solution:

1.       Make sure client has got the WSUS policy in registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "WUServer"="http://wsusserver.com"
    "WUStatusServer"=”http://wsusserver.com”

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000004
    "UseWUServer"=dword:00000001

2.  Approve all FCS related update in WSUS,so that FCS client will get the latest update. After upgraded to latest version, FCS client could get the latest version of Definition Update now.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, August 7, 2009 2:42 AM
  • I have the exact same issue.  I was using FCS on a Windows 7 RC machine and it stopped getting definition updates on 8/2/2009.  Have another laptop doing the exact same thing.

I am not using WSUS on the laptops as they are not domain machines, so I installed FCS with the "/NOMOM" option.  No WSUS, just a standalone desktop for myself and one for our IT team to test.

Does Windows 7 have any changes that are getting in the way of updating?  I have clients that use it with Windows XP and Small Business Server 2003 and they are having no definition update problems.  Just Windows 7 machines.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:16 AM
  • Nick,

Thank you for your guidance. However, as with Terrell, I am running the same configuration. That is, FCS on a 7RC laptop installed with the /nomom switch.

I also must add that I inadvertently mis-spoke in that no other updates are being identified or installed. Upon further review, I now see that no updates have been installed so this is obviously an issue that extends beyond Forefront.

What confuses me is that FCS is "unaware" that updates are not being installed as it reports a "normal" status. As stated previously, I manually installed updates for FCS yet Windows update and FCS still report that the last update was on 8/2/09.

Any further guidance, ideas, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again and also to Terrell for validating that my machine is not the only one affected. Terrell, are you receiving any other updates?

Michael
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 4:12 PM
  • I couldn't tell if you if there are any out there for me.  I'll wait for Patch Tuesday and let you know, but I've installed all the updates available, including Live Essentials, so there isn't much left.   Still not getting updates on my system.  Reinstalled Windows 7 and am using a trial version of McAfee Enterprise 8.7i and it works and updates and the system shows updates that I haven't ran on the system yet.

I went here and tried this: "Forefront Client Security client cannot download definition updates and you receive a "0x80004002" error code"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967512

Basically, it asks you to turn on "Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation" in the local group policy, force the group policy to update and make sure Microsoft Update is being used in Windows Update (Which I always set).  Didn't have any effect for me at all.  

Give it a try and see if it does anything for you Michael.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post.

As far as I know, Microsoft Forefront Client Security needs enabling Microsoft Update client for updates, by default, Windows have enabled Windows Update not Microsoft Update, you needs enabled it. For enable Microsoft Update follow this step in Windows 7:

1.- Open Windows Update console
    2.- Click over "Get update for more Products" message
    3.- Ready

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:55 AM
  • Nick,

I have Microsoft Update running.  It is one of the first things I do when I install Windows.  I've gone in and disabled it, checked for updates and re-enabled it and checked for updates and nothing appears for Forefront.  I have the registry settings changed as it asked for in the KB967512.

Still having to go grab copies of the definitions manually.  Again, on our XP and Vista machines, not having this problem.  They are updating without a hitch.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Terrell & Nick,

I am at the same exact place with regard to all the settings and still no updates.

It is comforting to have someone to go through this with and wish I could contribute more to the solution. I got so desperate last night that I tried to use the utility that is supposed reset Windows Update but still had no success. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971058/en-us 

There is an option in the utility that performs an "aggressive" reset but I have yet to try that. Might be the next step but a reply in the Windows Update forum indicated that I should upgrade 7RC to RTM which may be necessary to finally resolve this.

Thank you both for all your help and I hope that collectively, we can find a resolution before I go out of my mind. I feel somewhat like a "dog after a bone" in that I just want to know what caused this and how to resolve it.

Michael
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Dears

I am facing the same problems since I installed the Windows 7 RTM; Microsoft Forefront Client Security doesn't get any updates;  I am Getting updates for All Microsoft Products Installed like Office; Silverlight. But Microsoft Forefront Client Security refuse any Udpates; I had to downlaod the the update manually from (http://download.microsoft.com/download/DefinitionUpdates/mpam-fex64.exe); I though I was the only one affected till I read this article. I check the ProductUpdateAvailable and its value is 0. I check everything and everything seems ok.

I checked the WindowsUpdate.log and It is like that it doesn't detect that FCS is installed and doesn't check for FCS updates.
    Waleed A. Nasser Mohamed
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Same here.  Running Windows 7 Enterprise RTM.  Cannot get updated definitions past 8/2/09 from Microsoft Update (yes it is enabled/opted-in)

Have to manually download/install definition files from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/forefront/clientsecurity/bb508812.aspx in the meantime.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Dears

I checked with other ppl with me at my team; they installed Windows 7 RTM; and they are facing the same problem and they have to install the updates manually.
    Waleed A. Nasser Mohamed
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Terrell, Techergy & Waleed,

Are any of you receiving updates for other Microsoft products as I am not receiving any.

Also, are any of you running Office 2010, by chance?

From a historical perspective, my machine was being updated almost daily for Forefront and at least a couple times a week for other applications.

Thank you all for letting me know that my machine is not the only one affected as that is some consolation.

Michael
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:16 PM
  • All,

I just performed a manual check for updates and received the following:

3 Important Updates:

Definition Update for Forefront Client Security (Antimalware 1.63.1298.0)
    Security Update for Windows 7 RC (KB 973540)
    Security Update for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 ATL for Smart Devices (KB 973675)

And the frustrating things is I did nothing.

Anyone else get the same?

Michael

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:58 PM
  • Just randomly started updating again.  I ran a check from Forefront and it downloaded the 1.63.1298.0's from 8/11/09 at 11:11AM.

Don't know what happened but it looks like it is updating again.  Weird.

--Terrell
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Dear M_J_C;

Yes; I was getting updates for all other Microsoft Products like MS Office. I am running MS Officee 2007.

Me too; I was checking updates and I found that Windows Update had detected the FCS; Downloaded the Updates and installed them.

Very Weird; I didn't change anything.

Waleed
    Waleed A. Nasser Mohamed
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:59 AM
  • It appears it pulled the latest definitions on its own last night when I was away from the computer.

Version 1.63.1316.0 created on 8/11/2009 at 7:46pm

• Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:03 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:16 PM
  • My solution is to manually install the Microsoft Update, as in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/901037
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:47 PM
  • i followed Nicks response above.  this was very simple and fixed my Forefront update issue.  thanks Nick
    Monday, May 3, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Sir,

tnx for the info now my FCS on workgroup & domain base policy works.....

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:09 AM