none
Data on mounted VHDX keeps coming back after deletion and reboot

Question

• Hi,

I have a VHDX file mounted in my Windows 10 E environment. On this virtual disk I have several folders. This disk automounts on startup using a task. I have deleted (shift + del) some folders from the virtual disk. When I reboot the folders keep coming back.

When I delete the folders again and dismount and mount manually the folders are stil gone. And after a reboot they are back again? It looks like some caching issue. Running disk cleanup, empty recycle bin, nothing seems to work.

When I create a new VHDX file and move all the files without the ones I want to delete and use this disk to mount they keep coming back. So Windows seems to think the files are still present on the disk.

Any ideas?

Regards

Danny

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:58 AM

Answers

• Clean boot env same problem.

Not in recycle bin. I deleted with SHIFT+DEL

I have fixed the problem but no idea why it now works.

I created a new VHDX file and auto mounted under a drive letter I never used before

Moved the files I want form the old VHDX. Deleted the old VHDX

Reboot

Change the auto mount script to use the old drive letter

Reboot and now the files stay gone.

I have no idea why this suddenly works but its fine for now

Regards

Danny

• Marked as answer by waaromikniet Monday, April 24, 2017 9:41 AM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Danny Hansen,

How did you automount the VHDX disk? Have you tested with another VHDX disk?

I have tried to made a test on my Windows 10 1703 Enterprise machine. The folders in the VHDX won't be back after deleted.
    Try to eject the mounted disk after we made modifications to the VHDX disk.

Please check the symptom in a clean boot environment.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

I have a scheduled task that runs at startup. It performs the following actions:

Select vdisk file="C:\Users\Danny\Disks\data.vhdx"
    Attach vdisk
    Select partition=1
    Assign letter=F

When I create a new 'clean' VHDX file and automount with this script but change the drive letter and create some directories and remove some of them they stay gone after reboot.

When I create a new 'clean' VHDX and automount with the script above leaving drive letter to F my deleted folders appear on that disk even when I never create content on that disk

When I create a new 'clean' VHDX and mount with the script above but change the drive letter I have an empty disk.

When I delete the folders again from my original disk, detach reboot and automount my original disk under another drive letter the folders are still gone. When I reboot and automount under drive letter F the deleted folders are back.

If I reboot and the folders are there again and I mount the disk on another Windows 10 system I also see the folders I deleted there. When I delete the folders again, detach and mount on another system they are still gone. When I attach again on my original system and reboot the folders are back.

So looks like heavy caching of some sort. But after reboot the files are actually on disk again.

Regards

Danny

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

Have you checked the symptom in a clean boot environment? Will the deleted contents in the "recycle bin"? Have you cleared the "recycle bin"?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:18 AM
  • Clean boot env same problem.

Not in recycle bin. I deleted with SHIFT+DEL

I have fixed the problem but no idea why it now works.

I created a new VHDX file and auto mounted under a drive letter I never used before

Moved the files I want form the old VHDX. Deleted the old VHDX

Reboot

Change the auto mount script to use the old drive letter

Reboot and now the files stay gone.

I have no idea why this suddenly works but its fine for now

Regards

Danny

• Marked as answer by waaromikniet Monday, April 24, 2017 9:41 AM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 9:13 AM